Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:48 PM   #3226
Symmooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indicchief View Post
I think it is the coaching of Sir Groce (and his Staff).

212 degree it is.

This man can coach UP.
I'll second that.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:50 PM   #3227
Symmooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I also think that Langford has a better shot at a starting perimeter position than Henry.
I think it will be a very nice problem for Groce.

Even better if one of them is coming off the bench to relieve CA and the other starters.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:50 PM   #3228
RHITIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by illbasketfan View Post
I see I made the Diamond Stone picture. Great game on Sat. Time to get ready for the Big Ten season. Would love a 15 class of Brunson, Matthews, Willams and Stone this staff could make it happen!!
Brunson is having a hot fall, but I don't think he's really at the top of the list right now, especially with Matthews wanting to play PG.

The big concern with Brunson right now is athleticism, specifically speed with the ball. He looks the part, but he still needs to develop the ability to get past defenders without over-dribbling.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:33 PM   #3229
Juice
Quote:
I see I made the Diamond Stone picture. Great game on Sat. Time to get ready for the Big Ten season. Would love a 15 class of Brunson, Matthews, Willams and Stone this staff could make it happen!!
Which one are you ill??
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:37 PM   #3230
IlliniFreak7
Banned
Quote:
That line up would be great but what is your opinion on Edwards, marrow, and the big guy from Texas whose name is escaping me right now?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:42 PM   #3231
Vick217
Banned
Kendrick Nunn video from this weekend!!

iaelites

Last edited by Dan; Dec 31, 2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:50 PM   #3232
Indicchief
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post
Brunson is having a hot fall, but I don't think he's really at the top of the list right now, especially with Matthews wanting to play PG.

The big concern with Brunson right now is athleticism, specifically speed with the ball. He looks the part, but he still needs to develop the ability to get past defenders without over-dribbling.
Lyle could also influence the 15 batch.

However, I would expect Groce to have two top notch PG by 15.

Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:56 PM   #3233
IlliniFreak7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indicchief View Post
Lyle could also influence the 15 batch.

However, I would expect Groce to have two top notch PG by 15.
Neither Matthews or Lyle are true pgs, they are combos. We will absolutely need a true point guard in that class even if we get both (which would be amazing). It would allow us to have many skilled ball handlers on the court and that is something groce wants. There is no way groce passes up on a true pg that year when his offense relies so heavily on having one.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:13 PM   #3234
RHITIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFreak7 View Post
Neither Matthews or Lyle are true pgs, they are combos. We will absolutely need a true point guard in that class even if we get both (which would be amazing). It would allow us to have many skilled ball handlers on the court and that is something groce wants. There is no way groce passes up on a true pg that year when his offense relies so heavily on having one.
No, if you got both of those then you don't need a "true PG".. those guys would be good enough to where you wouldnt need one
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:41 PM   #3235
Dan
Admin
Jaylon Tate at Pontiac

HoverCraftHines
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:48 PM   #3236
PGHillini11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vick217 View Post

Kendrick video from this weekend!!
That oop from Jabari to Kendrick was ridiculous
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:49 PM   #3237
Dan
Admin
Cliff Alexander at Pontiac

iaelites
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:27 PM   #3238
Clete1
Watched that video of Alexander. All he does is dunk, rebound, and block shots. Someone tell me again why we want this guy.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:34 PM   #3239
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clete1 View Post
Watched that video of Alexander. All he does is dunk, rebound, and block shots. Someone tell me again why we want this guy.
Please tell me this is you kidding.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:37 PM   #3240
cwmorga
Banned
Quote:
HA!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:37 PM   #3241
BenjIllini
Hoopin Groce Style
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
I am still not sure if he is kidding or not since we have 0 of those things he mentioned.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:39 PM   #3242
ct3illini
Quote:
Maybe the manner and frequency in which he dunks, rebounds, and blocks shots? This guy is one and done, my goodness....

Tate and Nunn looking good too!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:42 PM   #3243
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjIllini View Post
I am still not sure if he is kidding or not since we have 0 of those things he mentioned.
Ha!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:53 PM   #3244
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Jaylon Tate at Pontiac

HoverCraftHines
Thx, Dan. JT seems much improved from the games I saw of him on TV last Feb/March. He's not a wow athlete like LA Jr. or Nunn, but he has some nice attributes: good quickness, good court vision, excellent passing skills, tight handles and his shooting form is decent. Has the elbow under the ball and a pretty good follow-through. As he gets stronger hitting the weights, it's easy to see him becoming a solid B1G PG and fitting in well in JG's system. Question is how high is his ceiling? If the staff can develop TA into a consistently good attacking PG, there's no reason to believe they can't do the same for JT.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:05 PM   #3245
alexander58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct3illini View Post
Maybe the manner and frequency in which he dunks, rebounds, and blocks shots? This guy is one and done, my goodness....

Tate and Nunn looking good too!
I dont see Alexander as one and done. I realize he could develop a lot in 2 years, but I think more time to mature would be needed.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:28 PM   #3246
Clete1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Absolutely. Haven't had that type of explosiveness down low at Illinois in . . . forever.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:47 PM   #3247
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Quote:
Absolutely. Haven't had that type of explosiveness down low at Illinois in . . . forever.
How could you forget Shelly Clark???
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:57 PM   #3248
Illest
Alexander isn't a 7-footer, but his length, high shoulders, and quick leaping make him play like a much taller player. His first step in the post is exceptionally explosive. Just from the highlight, it looks like he has things to work on, like not bringing the ball down and not always going to his left shoulder on his post moves. But sure, he's a lottery pick.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:12 PM   #3249
Illest
Nunn has the guts and the physicality to play in the Big Ten, but I don't see him as a playmaker. He might become an important player in college because of the other things he does well, but I doubt he'll have a high usage rate because he doesn't seem to have the quickness or dexterity with the ball in his hands to make things happen by himself against elite defenders.

Tate is just the opposite. He's a terrific fit for Groce's offense. He accelerates really quickly off of ball screens, and he seems to make a lot of great split-second reads. He can be an offensive star if he avoids being passive. But his defense is a clear concern. He can probably be a solid Big Ten defender if he wants it bad enough, but does he want it bad enough?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:22 PM   #3250
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vick217 View Post

Kendrick video from this weekend!!

Dunks are awesome! I want to see him finish against contact. Make jumpers. Create his own shot. I think he probably can do those things. Dunks mean little to me in high school. I mean really who would win a dunk contest D Will or Bertrand or whoever. I went to high school at Urbana with Tyke Peacock who at 6 ft high jumped 7 7 M Jordan could not out dunk him uncontested. It is nice to have atheltic ability i know. I just hope we can just find a PG that can drive the ball, a big time rebounder enforcer and create and a shoot like Jamar Smith. i am not to greedy am i!
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »