Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:00 PM   #6626
IlliniByProxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
this is worse than the hawaii feed. then again it is a small town website.
Mine seams to be streaming along just fine. Only the play of both teams makes it difficult to watch lol.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:23 PM   #6627
combes
Heck of a shooter. Kind of player you are shocked when he misses.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:23 PM   #6628
illiniobserver22
I had Malcolm for 18 in the first half. Two layups, a layup + 1, a couple mid-range jumpers, a three, and four more free throws. Had a slow start (4 pt 1st quarter) but really took over mid 2nd quarter.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:27 PM   #6629
mdonsbach
Yeah I feel like the second he has the ball in his hand he plays to his full potential. If the ball isn't in his hands it's like he coasts through the game.

Loves to go the the rack though. That will work nicely in Groce's system. Just need to make sure he plays hard on both ends of the court.

Anyone notice his free throw looks kind of wierd. His left hand comes off the ball really early in his short and makes it look like he is pushing the ball with his right hand. Can't complain with the results though.

Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:29 PM   #6630
SimonHoffman
I had him with 20 but I might have miscounted. Anyone notice how similar Hill and Reddick look at times?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:35 PM   #6631
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonHoffman View Post
I had him with 20 but I might have miscounted. Anyone notice how similar Hill and Reddick look at times?
No you were right, it's 20.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:36 PM   #6632
UofIChE06
Offensively Hill is extremely advanced. Think Matt Jones if you have seen him. He definitely seems to coast at times but it is HS. Doubtful they have the advanced offensive sets of college teams or even the big academies.

Does B East always play zone defense? I don't know that anyone would look especially good playing in a zone defense.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:51 PM   #6633
sapan1030
Banned
Man, he is impressive to watch. Incredibly smooth, and so good at putting the ball in the bucket.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:53 PM   #6634
IlliniJeffrey
Waiting for Larry Smith to check in for Alton. He's be a senior by now, right?

Seriously, though...I appreciate the fact that this is streamed, but even a high school kid doing a little play by play would help.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:56 PM   #6635
sapan1030
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJeffrey View Post
Waiting for Larry Smith to check in for Alton. He's be a senior by now, right?

Seriously, though...I appreciate the fact that this is streamed, but even a high school kid doing a little play by play would help.
Yeah, and maybe showing how many points each player has when they go to the line or something. This is pretty low budget haha
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:14 PM   #6636
OrangeAndBlue217
Banned
The last game that was streamed, I forget who they played but they had some play by play people.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:15 PM   #6637
combes
What did he end up with? 35 or so? I lost count while watching an old western at the same time.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:20 PM   #6638
ILHoff
Hill is awesome with the ball in his hands. He'll be a perfect fit with our high ball screens.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:20 PM   #6639
mdonsbach
Hill has some nice dimes and a couple of explosive blocks as well. His offensive game sames more refined that alot of guys on our current team. Granted the competition is completely different.

I think if in college he can get by his man he will put on a clinic of how many different ways he can put the ball in the bucket.

Liked how at the end of the game they gave him the ball for shooting FT's as well.

Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:26 PM   #6640
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Malcolm Hill with 36 points and 7 rebounds tonight

http://twitter.com/swjetsbbclub
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:42 PM   #6641
chiefcub69
Banned
Hill is going to be an absolute star! Haven't felt this way about an Illini recruit in a long time. He's a cant miss IMO.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:44 PM   #6642
Illest
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonsbach View Post
Anyone notice his free throw looks kind of wierd. His left hand comes off the ball really early in his short and makes it look like he is pushing the ball with his right hand. Can't complain with the results though.
If he keeps shooting 85% when he moves to Champaign, he can shoot it with his belly button for all I care.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:50 PM   #6643
alexander58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonsbach View Post
Yeah I feel like the second he has the ball in his hand he plays to his full potential. If the ball isn't in his hands it's like he coasts through the game.

Loves to go the the rack though. That will work nicely in Groce's system. Just need to make sure he plays hard on both ends of the court.

He uses different form for his free throws than he does for his jumper. He has very nice form on his jumper. On his free throws he sets his left hand on top of the ball to create more backspin. His left hand finishes backward.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:03 PM   #6644
CUWPC
Burger boy numbers for Hill.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:16 PM   #6645
TCTORNADO
Where does Hill stand compared to D.J. I have not seen Hill play but did see D.J. a couple of times @ Findlay and quite frankly I was surprised to see D,.J. start from day 1 and then go on and become B1G FOY. His Findlay performances were OK but boy did he surprise when he got to C/U.
Any comparisons and realistically should we see Hill start from day 1??
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:28 PM   #6646
UofIChE06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Where does Hill stand compared to D.J. I have not seen Hill play but did see D.J. a couple of times @ Findlay and quite frankly I was surprised to see D,.J. start from day 1 and then go on and become B1G FOY. His Findlay performances were OK but boy did he surprise when he got to C/U.
Any comparisons and realistically should we see Hill start from day 1??
The biggest thing is level of competition. Playing at Findlay is a lot different than playing for Belleville East. At Findlay DJ was prepared for the college game which translated to his quick start out of the gate. I think Nunn and Tate will hit the court more in stride than the other recruits. Hill definitely has the talent to be great though. Just might take him a year before fully adjusting to the college game.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:30 PM   #6647
combes
Hill is better than the Simeon duo. Love both those recruits but Hill is star material.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:02 PM   #6648
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Hill is better than the Simeon duo. Love both those recruits but Hill is star material.

Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:08 PM   #6649
HeartofaChampion
MaH was very good tonight. Glad to have gotten to watch him play via that rudimentary site. Looks like a better handler than anyone currently on our roster and with more moves than anyone here. Smooth, fluid, loves attacking the lane, good job of drawing contact, can go left or right, nice mid-range game, the total package. Not a wow athlete but a good one. He'll earn lots of PT next year. Just make sure you hit the weights, son.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:14 PM   #6650
chiefini
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
As for the argument as to whether Hill can break into the starting lineup next season, it sounds like at the very least, Hill will provide a competitive challenge to the upperclassmen, both in practice and on the court, which will result in excellent depth, no matter who ends up starting. A win-win.

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)

Last edited by chiefini; Feb 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Oops-posted in wrong thread???
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »