Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August-November 2012)

Closed Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:33 AM   #17551
PeoriaIllini1
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Totally agree w/this.

Hard to believe, but our '14 class may be wrapped a bit early. ;-)

As to where the additional 2 rides are coming from:

- transfers (safe to assume at least 1)
- academic attrition (unknown)
- Egwu makes a huge leap and leaves early (remember, that's 2 years from now)
- Creaning (God, forbid)
No way Egwu leaves early for the NBA if that is what you are implying! We only have two players in the NBA now. It is so tough to make it among the best 350 or so players in the world. I hope he just averages 10 and 7 someday in the Big Ten. I do think he will get the most from his ability but i hope we sign an elite player that will challenge him for playing time upon arrival that does truly possess NBA level talent. As good as the Big Ten is there are only a select few post players that will make the NBA.

I would love to see us slip in and surprise with Cliff or Jahil O
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:36 AM   #17552
Joel Goodson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noday View Post
Would they take him even after KBDs commitment or are you saying Groce isnt so sure about KBD?
100%, yes, After or before KBD's (hopefully) commitment.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:38 AM   #17553
MPFlyinIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaIllini1 View Post
No way Egwu leaves early for the NBA if that is what you are implying! We only have two players in the NBA now. It is so tough to make it among the best 350 or so players in the world. I hope he just averages 10 and 7 someday in the Big Ten. I do think he will get the most from his ability but i hope we sign an elite player that will challenge him for playing time upon arrival that does truly possess NBA level talent. As good as the Big Ten is there are only a select few post players that will make the NBA.

No guarantee Joe B gets a fifth year either.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:40 AM   #17554
Joel Goodson
Quote:

Never implied anything more than a longshot. Obviously, Egwu needs to take big strides, this season and, again, next season (remember, we're talking 2 years, here). I hope he does. And, yes, I believe it's more than a Dumb and Dumber chance.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:40 AM   #17555
jcgoldie
Sounds like Groce is doing a lot of "lurking" with these 2014 kids
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:41 AM   #17556
IlliniTilDeath
Quote:

No way he leaves early for the NBA?? How can you say that? The man has only been playing basketball for a relatively short time and has a high ceiling. Wait until you see how he develops this year before you make such a snap judgement. It's not like Leonard was a stud in college. He flashed enormous potential, and that was enough to get drafted in a pretty good spot.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:44 AM   #17557
ILL in Iowa
While leonard wasn't always consistent, there were some games where he was the "stud" on the floor. So his performance would need to be much better to even sniff the NBA. That being said let's hope he plays his way into the league.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:44 AM   #17558
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPFlyinIllini View Post
You're talking about jettisoning the most experienced wing player for the 2013-2014 season.

So far he has shown an improved perimeter jumper, and we know he can create off the bounce and single handedly take over a game against high level competition.

We're more likely to see a MS / Ibby transfer then JB getting run off.

If we get to that situation where we need one or more schollies, it will work itself out but I think JB will be here in 2013-2014 and probably our starting 2 or 3.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:47 AM   #17559
troyk
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Illinois would take Finke today if he called and wanted to commit. This is a fact.
Are you on the staff or something? The only person that can speak that definitively is Coach Groce.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:51 AM   #17560
troyk
Banned
Quote:

Yes, let's kick out our most experienced guy next year for a relatively unknown quantity.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:52 AM   #17561
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk View Post
Are you on the staff or something? The only person that can speak that definitively is Coach Groce.
Relax. Combes was just stating his opinion. This board would be pretty boring if all we could do was post facts.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:53 AM   #17562
fan17
Banned
Quote:
this may be true, but would not make much sense. JB scholly is the only one that they curently have for 2014. If he doesn't play next yr for UofI and we sign a 2013, then we have none for 14.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:54 AM   #17563
PeoriaIllini1
Banned
Quote:
To me Joe Bertrand is going to be the surprise of his class. He is the one player that has improved nearly every game he plays. He does have athletic ability that others do not possess. I think he is a good example of how important being an athlete is for someone willing to work. He is shooting the three well thus far too which will make him as tough as anyone to guard. I would not be shocked if he were All Big Ten before he graduates. It appears that Nunn and Colbert are elite athletes as well and you never know how far someone will grow and develop that does have physical special gifts that are god given.

That is what players like Kendall Gill and Luther Head had those traits but were not as highly touted. Maybe this class has a diamond in the rough coming in much like Gill, Head, and hopefully JB. It seem Nunn and Colbert are special athletes. i have not see as much of Hill or Tate to know what type of overall athletic traits they possess.
Morgan seems to be good banger and rebounder that every Big Ten needs.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:54 AM   #17564
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
You're talking about jettisoning the most experienced wing player for the 2013-2014 season.

So far he has shown an improved perimeter jumper, and we know he can create off the bounce and single handedly take over a game against high level competition.

We're more likely to see a MS / Ibby transfer then JB getting run off.

If we get to that situation where we need one or more schollies, it will work itself out but I think JB will be here in 2013-2014 and probably our starting 2 or 3.
+1. Not to mention he's our only senior next season. Normally 5th year seniors are a blessing so I don't see JB getting run off. We'll need him next year.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:57 AM   #17565
nicksmithfanclub
nbadraft.net has Bertrand as a second rounder after next year. That might be a little optimistic, but I'd be shocked if Bertrand wasn't invited back.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:01 PM   #17566
MPFlyinIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
+1. Not to mention he's our only senior next season. Normally 5th year seniors are a blessing so I don't see JB getting run off. We'll need him next year.
Technically not correct. See RR
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:01 PM   #17567
Indicchief
Banned
Quote:
Joe B's 5th year is 2013.

While CA/JO are in the 2014 era.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:03 PM   #17568
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Technically not correct. See RR
RR can play next year and the year after. Bertrand only has next season. Yes, they are both classified as juniors, but RR will be around an additional season.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:04 PM   #17569
Joel Goodson
Quote:
C'mon!!!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:04 PM   #17570
MPFlyinIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
RR can play next year and the year after. Bertrand only has next season. Yes, they are both classified as juniors, but RR will be around an additional season.
Correct, and so is Indi
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:06 PM   #17571
PeoriaIllini1
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniTilDeath View Post
No way he leaves early for the NBA?? How can you say that? The man has only been playing basketball for a relatively short time and has a high ceiling. Wait until you see how he develops this year before you make such a snap judgement. It's not like Leonard was a stud in college. He flashed enormous potential, and that was enough to get drafted in a pretty good spot.
"

I hope i am wrong but i watch a ton of NBA hoops and i do not see the "high ceiling" that you do, not playing above the rim, he is not 7'1'', or have a big frame. He does have heart but it takes more than that. I just have realistic expectations Egwu. I hope he develops like you think he can.
i am glad we will have him for four years and i hope we ink a player that can challenge and take his spot right away. I can not see us in the Final Four with him being our central focus. If we sign Cliff or JO i could see us there in a few years with Egwu coming off the bench or in a starting supporting role. I guess we will just agree to disagree on this one.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:13 PM   #17572
Groundhogday
Quote:
Bertrand gets a 5th year, and we are really going to need his experience next year when we only have 4 returning guards (LaTulip, Bertrand, Abrams, Rice.)

Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:16 PM   #17573
Calvin
Quote:
"

I hope i am wrong but i watch a ton of NBA hoops and i do not see the "high ceiling" that you do, not playing above the rim, he is not 7'1'', or have a big frame. He does have heart but it takes more than that. I just have realistic expectations Egwu. I hope he develops like you think he can.
i am glad we will have him for four years and i hope we ink a player that can challenge and take his spot right away. I can not see us in the Final Four with him being our central focus. If we sign Cliff or JO i could see us there in a few years with Egwu coming off the bench or in a starting supporting role. I guess we will just agree to disagree on this one.
Couple minor points.

Only really elite college players look like they should be headed to the pros. Most bigs get drafted, and take at least a year or two more.
When talking about watching the pros, remember you only see about half the roster actually play. Lotta bench guys in the NBA too.
Egwu seems like a 4/5, so you have to let him develop more before projecting his college play.

I have a couple concerns about Egwu, but I do think he's got some chance to get to the NBA.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:18 PM   #17574
ILLINI FREESE 23
Quote:
Joe has nothing to do with our scholarships for the 2014 class considering he will be gone by the time they come in. Don't try and stir something up that has absolutely ZERO chance of happening. We are lucky to have Joe
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:19 PM   #17575
PeoriaIllini1
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
Couple minor points.

Only really elite college players look like they should be headed to the pros. Most bigs get drafted, and take at least a year or two more.
When talking about watching the pros, remember you only see about half the roster actually play. Lotta bench guys in the NBA too.
Egwu seems like a 4/5, so you have to let him develop more before projecting his college play.

I have a couple concerns about Egwu, but I do think he's got some chance to get to the NBA.
He said leave early as it pertains to a open scholly. Not happening
Closed Thread