Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

2012-2013 MLB Offseason Thread

Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:50 PM   #1
dansaint
Ozzie Guillen fired by Miami Marlins: http://twitter.com/MLB/status/260829026292215809

Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:18 PM   #2
wpr
wow. That was not what I thought would happen. I was surprised when they orgiginally hired him. But I thought he would stick around for 2 years.
wpr is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:22 PM   #3
IntenselyOrange
That team is a mess. This is the third strait manager who couldn't get along with the organization. Given that neither Freddy Gonzalez or Joe Girardi could manage it was quite obvious that this was going to fail.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:39 PM   #4
dansaint
Got a MLB question for you that doesn't fit elsewhere

do you think we'll see another team relocate (leave the city they are in for another city?)

Most believe that Oakland is heading that way (San Jose is the most mentioned)...but do you see another team besides them moving? And to where?

Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:13 PM   #5
orangeroses07
I could see the Tampa Bay Rays "relocating" to a different area of the Tampa Bay area, like Tampa perhaps, instead of St. Petersburg. There has been a constant complaint about Tropicana Field and how it is not in the best location to get fans to the game. I'm not sure the exact numbers, but i'm willing to say that they are below the league average in attendance, which is very bad considering they have been either in the playoffs or in the hunt for the playoffs every year since 2008. A new stadium wouldn't be bad either, that place is a joke.

Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:56 AM   #6
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeroses07 View Post
I could see the Tampa Bay Rays "relocating" to a different area of the Tampa Bay area, like Tampa perhaps, instead of St. Petersburg. There has been a constant complaint about Tropicana Field and how it is not in the best location to get fans to the game. I'm not sure the exact numbers, but i'm willing to say that they are below the league average in attendance, which is very bad considering they have been either in the playoffs or in the hunt for the playoffs every year since 2008. A new stadium wouldn't be bad either, that place is a joke.
I think they'll move to Tampa, but I'm not sure I'd consider that a relocation. Same thing with Oakland to San Jose. It's hard to find a team that would relocate in the near future. What markets are available? Portland? Charlotte? San Antonio? I don't think any of those markets can support 81 games every year. As for the teams most likely to actually move, you'd have the Marlins if not for their new stadium, but other than that it's difficult to identify a team. Oddly, the White Sox might actually be the most likely mover if an opportunity arose.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:39 AM   #7
KBLEE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenselyOrange View Post
Oddly, the White Sox might actually be the most likely mover if an opportunity arose.
I almost posted this same thought yesterday.
KBLEE is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:09 AM   #8
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
I almost posted this same thought yesterday.
I don't see it happening. Reinsdorf has a pretty good deal until 2028.

Article in Crain's last October. Check out the article. It is short but has other interesting comments.

Quote:
The sweet deal Jerry Reinsdorf has at U.S. Cellular Field is prompting the state agency that runs the ballpark to re-examine its lease agreement, which requires the White Sox owner to pay $1.5 million annually in rent while keeping all proceeds from ticket sales, parking, concessions and his growing merchandise operations.
follow up story the next day.

Quote:
The supplemental fund was created when the state authority and the White Sox renegotiated their original contract so that, after 18 years of free rent, the ball club would begin paying a base rent to the authority. That revised agreement also set terms on annual rent based on ticket revenue. Since 2008, the team must pay $3 to $7 for every ticket sold above annual attendance of 1.9 million.

With paid attendance under 1.9 million in 2011, the Sox won't pay ticket fees this year.

In 2010, however, paid attendance was 2,074,011, exceeding the trigger by 149,011. So Mr. Reinsdorf paid $455,974, or about $3 per ticket.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:23 AM   #9
dansaint
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...ictions-1.html

Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:04 AM   #10
AHSIllini32
Banned
I just don't see the Cubs only going after one of those guys. The FO said they are going to be looking to upgrade the pitching through FA this off-season.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:46 AM   #11
KBLEE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
I just don't see the Cubs only going after one of those guys. The FO said they are going to be looking to upgrade the pitching through FA this off-season.
Angels are looking to deal Dan Haren today, and reports say Cubs are one of the teams talking to them.
KBLEE is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:08 PM   #12
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
Angels are looking to deal Dan Haren today, and reports say Cubs are one of the teams talking to them.
I'd be good with that. Bring in Haren, re-sign Dempster.

1) Haren
2) Shark/Dempster
3) Shark/Dempster
4) Wood
5) one of the young guys.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:48 PM   #13
dansaint
my only question for Cubs fans is...what are you willing to give up for Haren, who has a history of back issues?

Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:47 PM   #14
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansaint View Post
my only question for Cubs fans is...what are you willing to give up for Haren, who has a history of back issues?
Before reading the story I was thinking LA would be asking a lot for him. If they really are considering releasing him they can't expect very much in return.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:16 PM   #15
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansaint View Post
Considering 3 of his last 4 years he's had an era of 3.9 or higher and just turned 32 a couple months ago I would say a 1 prospect in the 5-10 range and a top 20 with maybe a little filler.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:55 PM   #16
NorthwesternIllini4
Looks like the Cubs are indeed about to send Carlos Marmol to the Angels for Dan Haren. Deets forthcoming.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2012/1...for-dan-haren/
NorthwesternIllini4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:19 PM   #17
Wokker
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwesternIllini4 View Post
Looks like the Cubs are indeed about to send Carlos Marmol to the Angels for Dan Haren. Deets forthcoming.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2012/1...for-dan-haren/
Wokker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:00 PM   #18
Serious Late
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...os-marmol.html

Is it a go? Is it not a go? I dunno, but I will take Haren for Marmol every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Go Theo!

Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:17 PM   #19
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Late View Post

Is it a go? Is it not a go? I dunno, but I will take Haren for Marmol every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Go Theo!
+1. Love this deal... Especially not giving up any prospects.
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:33 PM   #20
stevo99
Good move for the Cubs.

Haren may have one really good year left. And even if he's only decent, he'll give you 180-200 innings and his SO rate hasn't dropped much at all.
stevo99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 08:10 PM   #21
AHSIllini32
Banned
Wow, helluva deal by the braintrust.

Either Haren pitches his ass off like he's capable of and gets dealt at the deadline for top prospects or he does decent and you just keep him in your rotation.

By the way, I don't know how I forgot Garza in my SP rotation earlier.

1) Garza
2) Haren
3) Shark
4) Demp (if resigned; the Cubs have talked to him already apparently)
5) Wood

That's not a bad rotation at all...just gotta fill in that lineup with some bats.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 08:58 PM   #22
Serious Late
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria

Looking more sketchy that it happens. National media jumped on it as if it were a done deal, but looking iffy now.

FYI, MLBTradeRumors = Best baseball site on the interwebs.

Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:00 PM   #23
NorthwesternIllini4
Now all reports saying that the deal fell through. My guess is Team Thoyer got an updated medical report and saw something they didn't like.

As an aside, I've wondered lately how the information age has really changed how we as fans follow our teams. It's crazy to think that even 5 years ago (pre-twitter), we wouldn't have had nearly the instantaneous access to info in situations like this, DJack's recruitment, etc.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:00 PM   #24
NorthwesternIllini4
@Serious

Beat me to it
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:46 PM   #25
Serious Late
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...ns-option.html

Haren's option has been declined by the Angels. He is going to enter the free market. If the Cubs want him, he is there for the gettin'.

Interesting to see the Cubs starting to go for talent now though. I take this as a good sign, regardless of whether they got him. Hopefully last season was the bottoming out, and we are building up from here.

« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »