Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Michael Dixon dismissed from Missouri basketball team

Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Multiple people now confirming to me that Dixon will not play again at #Mizzou. No idea when announcement will come.

http://twitter.com/GabeDeArmond
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Illini70math
That's a big deal if the reports are true.
Illini70math is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:13 PM   #3
mattcoldagelli
Whoa

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:17 PM   #4
gibb52
The ST Louis paper reported that he was involved in some time of sexual assault over the summer. Apparently not enough evidence could be gathered and no charges were brought, at least so far.

That could have been enough for Mizzou as Dixon has had several off the court issues prior to this.
gibb52 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:20 PM   #5
MTILLINOIS
Speechless.
MTILLINOIS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:22 PM   #6
mdonsbach
Definately helps our chances

Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:23 PM   #7
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonsbach View Post
Definately helps our chances
I like where your head is!
OrangeAndBlue217 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:25 PM   #8
RHITIllini
Frank Haith...

That is all.
RHITIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Michael Dixon's career at Missouri is over

According to Gabe DeArmond of PowerMizzou.com, suspended guard Michael Dixon's career as a Tiger is over. NBCSports.com was able to confirm DeArmond's report.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...souri-is-over/
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:26 PM   #10
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post
Frank Haith...

That is all.
Doubt if it was Haith's call.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:33 PM   #11
IlliniRunIn07
This is the opposite of what I was expecting.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:33 PM   #12
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibb52 View Post
Doubt if it was Haith's call.
Yes, this sort of thing would be decided at a higher level. That basketball program has so many recent black eyes they tolerate this sort of thing.

Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:37 PM   #13
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
The ST Louis paper reported that he was involved in some time of sexual assault over the summer. Apparently not enough evidence could be gathered and no charges were brought, at least so far.

That could have been enough for Mizzou as Dixon has had several off the court issues prior to this.
Saw earlier that there may have been a second accusation of sexual assault. Wasnt long after that this story broke.

Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:43 PM   #14
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
Saw earlier that there may have been a second accusation of sexual assault. Wasnt long after that this story broke.
I didn't see that, but makes perfect sense why Mizz would pull the plug if that's the case.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:44 PM   #15
IlliniRunIn07
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/29...n-against.html

There was a second allegation.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:50 PM   #16
saltygrapes
Well, that game is definitely winnable now.

Dixon was basically going to be Mizzou's best player this season. He's destroyed Illinois the past few games. Jabari Brown will be eligible, but he won't have near the same impact that Dixon would.

Illinois now definitely has an advantage over Missouri at the wing positions. Missouri has some experience advantages at PG/C, but if Illinois gets efficient scoring from their guards that's definitely a game for the taking. Can't wait

Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:54 PM   #17
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
I didn't see that, but makes perfect sense why Mizz would pull the plug if that's the case.
It was on twitter initially. i figured I'd wait to post a link until I saw something more substantial. Then this happened...

Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:55 PM   #18
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltygrapes View Post
Well, that game is definitely winnable now.

Dixon was basically going to be Mizzou's best player this season. He's destroyed Illinois the past few games. Jabari Brown will be eligible, but he won't have near the same impact that Dixon would.

Illinois now definitely has an advantage over Missouri at the wing positions. Missouri has some experience advantages at PG/C, but if Illinois gets efficient scoring from their guards that's definitely a game for the taking. Can't wait
IMO we would have to play our best to win. Pressey is a tough out on the perimeter and Bowers and Oriakh will be more than we can handle down low.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:10 PM   #19
saltygrapes
Quote:
IMO we would have to play our best to win. Pressey is a tough out on the perimeter and Bowers and Oriakh will be more than we can handle down low.
Missouri has little depth, especially in the front court. They only really play 7 guys. They have struggled when any of their players get into foul trouble (Bowers was in foul trouble vs. Louisville, for example).

They don't score very efficiently from the wings, either. Their 38% from three is a bit of a fraud, as Pressey is the only one with more than 15 3-pt attempts that is shooting above 40%. Furthermore, Pressey has had some issues with turnovers this year.

Illinois will have to keep them out of transition and off the offensive glass, which is where they really excel. but Dixon was going to be their best player. He would have been a huge boost to their wing scoring and would have added another huge 3-pt threat. Missouri really lacks reliable shooting right now.

Underestimating the impact of Dixon is silly. His absence will have a major impact on that game in Illinois's favor

Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:11 PM   #20
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
You clearly still under estimate this teams abilities.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:15 PM   #21
gibb52
Quote:
Missouri has little depth, especially in the front court. They only really play 7 guys. They have struggled when any of their players get into foul trouble (Bowers was in foul trouble vs. Louisville, for example).

They don't score very efficiently from the wings, either. Their 38% from three is a bit of a fraud, as Pressey is the only one with more than 15 3-pt attempts that is shooting above 40%. Furthermore, Pressey has had some issues with turnovers this year.

Illinois will have to keep them out of transition and off the offensive glass, which is where they really excel. but Dixon was going to be their best player. He would have been a huge boost to their wing scoring and would have added another huge 3-pt threat. Missouri really lacks reliable shooting right now.

Underestimating the impact of Dixon is silly. His absence will have a major impact on that game in Illinois's favor
Dixon would have been a load, I agree. And they are certainly more beatable without him. They will be the best team we play outside of the B1G with or without Dixon. We will need to bring our lunch is what I was trying to say.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:23 PM   #22
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Dixon would have been a load, I agree. And they are certainly more beatable without him. They will be the best team we play outside of the B1G with or without Dixon. We will need to bring our lunch is what I was trying to say.
I hear Gonzaga is better.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:24 PM   #23
saltygrapes
Quote:
I think Gonzaga is better when Missouri doesn't have Dixon. That's the level of difference his presence/absence creates.

Missouri's scoring efficiency numbers have been very mediocre and somewhat subpar this season. They are far below Illinois in Effective FG%, True shooting %, points per possession, and even offensive efficiency.

They have played higher quality competition, and Illinois's hot 3-pt shooting has had a lot to do with it, but the numbers are what they are. This is a winnable game if Illinois can keep them off the glass and take care of the ball.

Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:26 PM   #24
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
I hear Gonzaga is better.
I haven't seen the Zags play yet, but they are always a solid team as well. Looking forward to both games (especially Mizzou cause I'll be there).
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:43 PM   #25
PeoriaChief
Quote:

Some of our biggest weaknesses. Giving up offensive rebounds (we've been inconsistent with our rebounding game to game) and drawing fouls (there's been games where we go almost a half w/o a FT attempt.)

Also it will be hard to keep them out of transition if we don't make our shots (struggled for big stretches last 2 games) and if we keep turning it over like we have the last 2 games. Yea, we won both of these games but the way we played in those contests would both equal a loss to Mizzou.
PeoriaChief is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »