Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...top-25-and-one
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:54 AM   #2
HeartofaChampion
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Wokker
Five B1G teams, plus Gonzaga, Mizzou, and Butler, all in the top 16 here.

Yea I'd say our SOS isn't anything to worry about
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:45 PM   #4
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Seth Davis voted us #10.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:34 PM   #5
GilThorpe
we are over rated in these polls. We arent that good. maybe we get to be that good as time goes on, but right now we are just not that good yet
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Wokker
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
we are over rated in these polls. We arent that good. maybe we get to be that good as time goes on, but right now we are just not that good yet
It's all relative.

It would be difficult to find more than a dozen teams with better resumes than us so far.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:42 PM   #7
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokker View Post
It's all relative.

It would be difficult to find more than a dozen teams with better resumes than us so far.
which is why these polls mean NOTHING right now. Until we learn to rebound better, look for us to lose alot of games on the road in conference.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Dreamteam05
Quote:
which is why these polls mean NOTHING right now. Until we learn to rebound better, look for us to lose alot of games on the road in conference.
A lot of teams are going to lose a lot of road games in conference. I would be worried if we start to lose more home games.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Go Illini
Quote:
For recruiting purposes, it's nice to know that our highlights are going to be on ESPN Sportscenter. It's a little thing to fans, but huge to players/recruits.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Foggy Notion
Quote:
Which teams do you think should be ranked ahead of us that are not already there?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:23 PM   #11
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy Notion View Post
Which teams do you think should be ranked ahead of us that are not already there?
I wont argue that based on our current record/resume we are placed where we should be, but these early season, pre-conference polls mean very little other than getting your name in the press more and on ESPN more.

but does anyone think we are really the 10th best team on country ?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:28 PM   #12
lstewart53x3
Quote:
I wont argue that based on our current record/resume we are placed where we should be, but these early season, pre-conference polls mean very little other than getting your name in the press more and on ESPN more.

Yes because I cannot think of 10 teams that:

A.) have looked better than us.

B.) have a better resume than us.

And isn't that what it means to be top 10.

Just because we might not look to be a "normal" top 10 team in a "normal" year does not mean that there are 10 teams better than us this year.

If you believe these guys are wrong, the people on this board are wrong, the AP voters are wrong, and the coaches are wrong, please list out the 10 teams you think are better and where you would put us in a top 25 and why. Don't just say "they aren't a top 10 team!" Without explaining what teams are better.

The common argument is maybe we have a lot of holes in our team this year, but we could go through all the teams listed 10-50 and point out their holes as well, couldn't we?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:41 PM   #13
GilThorpe
what really matters is how we do in league play.

right now, it would not surprise me to see us go 13-5, nor would it surprise me to see us go 8-10.

rebounding is just so important in our league. If our shots arent falling, we will find ourselves in trouble.

that said, I like our chances to make the tournament, but we are not a "lock" at this point in time, with 18 league games ahead of us.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:51 PM   #14
lstewart53x3
Quote:
what really matters is how we do in league play.

right now, it would not surprise me to see us go 13-5, nor would it surprise me to see us go 8-10.

rebounding is just so important in our league. If our shots arent falling, we will find ourselves in trouble.

that said, I like our chances to make the tournament, but we are not a "lock" at this point in time, with 18 league games ahead of us.
Of course we are not a lock, but it will take a collapse similar to last season to keep us out, and I would bet against that.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:58 PM   #15
Illini70math
Actually, these early season rankings mean a lot in the case of Illinois. What they mean is that even neutral observers who have doubts about Illinois are recognizing that our resume on the court so far is one of the best in the country. That matters a lot.

Teams like Wisky and Purdue and Iowa have to do substantially better than Illinois in the B1G to pass us up on Selection Sunday. Remember in 2010 when we were alone in fifth place in the B1G, but the NCAA took sixth place Minny instead because of their better overall resume. We have helped ourselves a lot with our 13-1 nonconference record and top 15 ranking in both polls.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:02 PM   #16
BlockI
Banned
Quote:
I think our ranking is indicative of how weak college basketball is this season. This team isn't even close to a top 10 team most years but this is a down year for most outside the B1G.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:18 PM   #17
illini73
Quote:

I believe we are the 11th best team in the country. All good teams have ups and downs and right now we are not shooting well. Rebounding is going to be a problem all year, but that is a mentality and culture that good coaches can change through repetition.

If we are shooting well we can beat any team in the country!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:20 PM   #18
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockI View Post
I think our ranking is indicative of how weak college basketball is this season. This team isn't even close to a top 10 team most years but this is a down year for most outside the B1G.
I think we've been hearing how week college ball is every year for a while now : ). I agree though, there doesn't appear to be that dominant team like in years past.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:22 PM   #19
illinicb
Quote:

I agree and looked at the poll for the first time this year. I think after the top five or so, you could throw them all in a hat and couldn't tell the difference. In basketball, none of the polls EVER matter other than from an exposure perspective. If the Big Ten has a number of teams in the top ten now, logic would tells us that some of those teams will drop down as they lose a game or two.

The next poll that matters is where the seeding is in early March.

Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:22 PM   #20
BigTenChamp87
Banned
Why can't we just be happy now with what our team has accomplished his year? Are we so down that we don't know how to be happy? The past is over and future years have yet to come. Let's enjoy the precious present.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:33 PM   #21
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinicb View Post
I agree and looked at the poll for the first time this year. I think after the top five or so, you could throw them all in a hat and couldn't tell the difference. In basketball, none of the polls EVER matter other than from an exposure perspective. If the Big Ten has a number of teams in the top ten now, logic would tells us that some of those teams will drop down as they lose a game or two.

The next poll that matters is where the seeding is in early March.
I don't know why I keep seeing some people say "the polls don't matter", when the polls actually matter a great deal.

At Illinois, we want to have a great team every year, correct?

To have a great team, we need to get good recruits.

Good recruits normally want to go to good teams.

Teams that are ranked are generally perceived as being the good teams.

Therefore, being ranked helps us get good recruits, which gives us a better chance of having a good team year in and year out, which means being ranked helps Illinois fans get what we want.

Obviously, if Illinois goes 5-13 in BiG play, this ranking won't matter much and most will have forgotten all about it (however, I still think it helped get us exposure early this year showcasing the brand of ball JG is going to play to national recruits, so it will probably help, even if we have a bad BiG season).

But if Illinois can claw it's way to 10-8 in the BiG, we'll probably be ranked at the end of the season, which will give us a higher seed, and a higher seed generally means a better finish in the tourney, which helps us get better recruits, and gives us a better chance of being great each year.

So yes, being ranked is actually very important.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:38 PM   #22
Foggy Notion
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
I don't know why I keep seeing some people say "the polls don't matter", when the polls actually matter a great deal.

Therefore, being ranked helps us get good recruits, which gives us a better chance of having a good team year in and year out, which means being ranked helps Illinois fans get what we want.

Obviously, if Illinois goes 5-13 in BiG play, this ranking won't matter much and most will have forgotten all about it (however, I still think it helped get us exposure early this year showcasing the brand of ball JG is going to play to national recruits, so it will probably help, even if we have a bad BiG season).

But if Illinois can claw it's way to 10-8 in the BiG, we'll probably be ranked at the end of the season, which will give us a higher seed, and a higher seed generally means a better finish in the tourney, which helps us get better recruits, and gives us a better chance of being great each year.

Agree completely. Plus the media coverage is infinitely better for ranked teams, which makes it a lot easier for fans and recruits to follow the team.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:44 PM   #23
illinicb
Quote:

Being ranked at the end of the season won't give you a higher seed. Winning more games will get you a higher seed. Being somewhere in the polls just reflects the fact that you've won games. Recruits know whether you are a good team or not without looking at polls. They are much more aware of playing time and style of play than they are polls.

Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:46 PM   #24
Foggy Notion
Quote:
I think we've been hearing how week college ball is every year for a while now : ). I agree though, there doesn't appear to be that dominant team like in years past.
Good thing we only have to play teams from the present.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:46 PM   #25
IlliniFreak7
Banned
We may not be the number 11 team but I definitely see us more around 15, not like we're too overrated. Right now we are 11 because we are winning and have been playing good basketball and I love every second of us being ranked highly and will never complain about it.

Also I get the talk about not being a good rebounding team but we've only really gotten beaten up badly on the boards by Missouri and honestly we've played some very good rebounding teams. Honestly how many big ten teams are that much better at rebounding than gonzaga, Missouri, and auburn? Maybe 4? It's not like we're getting killed by weak rebounding teams. It'll be rough but I'm not nearly as depressed by it as many are here.

Last edited by IlliniFreak7; Dec 30, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »