Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

New scoreboards, video boards, ribbon displays and sound system for Memorial Stadium in 2013

Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:29 AM   #26
RHITIllini
From what I heard, the existing scoreboard/video screen was possibly moving to the top of the Block-I section and the new one would extend across about half of the horseshoe. I guess if anything they're really trying to make the gameday experience better in the stadium (I know, I know, it all starts on the field), but at least it'll help the energy level. Games there right now kind of have this 18th hole of a golf course feel. Cheers when a big play is made, but otherwise it's pretty docile.
RHITIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:36 AM   #27
DrewD007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post
From what I heard, the existing scoreboard/video screen was possibly moving to the top of the Block-I section and the new one would extend across about half of the horseshoe. I guess if anything they're really trying to make the gameday experience better in the stadium (I know, I know, it all starts on the field), but at least it'll help the energy level. Games there right now kind of have this 18th hole of a golf course feel. Cheers when a big play is made, but otherwise it's pretty docile.
I've never heard anything about the existing scoreboard moving except to the scrapyard. Apparently it's been having problems since 2009 to the point they weren't sure it'd even turn on.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:49 AM   #28
RHITIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
I've never heard anything about the existing scoreboard moving except to the scrapyard. Apparently it's been having problems since 2009 to the point they weren't sure it'd even turn on.
Yeah this is what I heard over the summer before the scoreboard sucked its way through yet another season. Maybe they hoped that theyd fixed it but I guess not.

Hopefully they're a lot better about installing their sound system this time around. Only having major speakers in the scoreboard blasts the horseshoe and isn't loud enough for much of the rest of the stadium. Oregon was smart when they designed their stadium since it has a slight parabolic curvature to direct the sound right at the field. Same sort of idea at LSU.
RHITIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:31 PM   #29
BZuppke
Would like to see us NOT use the slant Illinois on the back side. As we're supposedly rebranding by next year, would hope we'd have a new symbol as well. I think a simple block I would look good no matter what new symbol we come up with.
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:34 PM   #30
BZuppke
I'll also note it is bigger than tOSU's new board!
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:14 PM   #31
edavis4
The new scoreboard looks great! The ribbons will be a great addition as well! How about filling in that gap in the south horseshoe and bringing in the seats down to the endzone??

Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:16 PM   #32
Marty McFly
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZuppke View Post
Would like to see us NOT use the slant Illinois on the back side. As we're supposedly rebranding by next year, would hope we'd have a new symbol as well. I think a simple block I would look good no matter what new symbol we come up with.
THANK YOU!!! We finally get that crap off the helmets and here they are putting it on the new scoreboard. Someone please explain why we have a block I in one font and then this random slant ILLINOIS in a completely different font. We can do better than this. Need something new and fresh for that awesome new scoreboard.
Marty McFly is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:36 PM   #33
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFly View Post
THANK YOU!!! We finally get that crap off the helmets and here they are putting it on the new scoreboard. Someone please explain why we have a block I in one font and then this random slant ILLINOIS in a completely different font. We can do better than this. Need something new and fresh for that awesome new scoreboard.
Note to Dan. Get that crap random slant off the banner!

When they went to it the idea was that the block I didn't appeal to today's yutes.

Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:43 AM   #34
jackman404
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Note to Dan. Get that crap random slant off the banner!

When they went to it the idea was that the block I didn't appeal to today's yutes.
Personally I love the slant Illinois and hate the block I, but I know that most people my age (early 20's) prefer the block I to the slant Illinois. In ten years I'm sure most people will like the slant Illinois again because kids can't possibly like what their parents like!
jackman404 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:39 AM   #35
Oskee Mayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
The screenshot in the scoreboard mockup is Rashard Mendenhall scoring a TD in the 2008 Rose Bowl.
Exactly the kind of thing they should be showing this fall.
Oskee Mayer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:45 AM   #36
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinicb View Post
Did they photoshop the crowd in to make it look full?
Does it count as a sellout? :laugh:

Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:55 AM   #37
cmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Does it count as a sellout? :laugh:

Ha. Classic!
cmore is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:19 AM   #38
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
Yep, I recall reading they can't even get parts for it any more, which was a big part of the motivation to get a new one.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:19 AM   #39
Dan
Admin
Daktronics released a press release today with the scoreboard/ribbon boards/audio system details-

Note - The "Football Scoreboard" part of the big south scoreboard will also be included in the North End Zone. (No video or ribbon board for the North End Zone.)

New Illinois Memorial Stadium scorebaord & ribbon board mockups w/ info

3 elements of the South End Zone Scoreboard-
* HD video board measuring 36 feet tall by 96 feet wide- "It is capable of showing one large image to highlight live video and instant replays. It can also be divided into separate windows."
* A football scoreboard to show the score, time outs left, down and distance, game time remaining, and quarter information.
* Ribbon display 50 feet wide.

North End Zone Football Scoreboard-
* A football scoreboard to show the score, time outs left, down and distance, game time remaining, and quarter information. (No video)

2 LED ribbon boards along the East & West balconies-
* 420 feet (140 yards) in length.

2 smaller video displays in the Southeast corner & Southwest corner
* 10 feet tall by nearly 17 feet wide.

Custom Daktronics Sportsound audio system-
* "This system will provide full-range sound reproduction and deliver clear and intelligible speech ensuring a powerful audio experience for the fans.

Quote:
University of Illinois to Upgrade Memorial Stadium with Integrated Daktronics Video Display and Audio Systems

http://www.daktronics.com/Company/Ne...alStadium.aspx

Last edited by Dan; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:40 AM   #40
Dan
Admin
The new Memorial Stadium main HD video board measures 36 feet tall by 96 feet wide = 3,456 square feet.

In wikipedia's list of college football stadium video boards, that's good for-

* 20th nationally
* 6th in the B1G

Big Ten video boards-

_________________Dimensions_____Area (sq ft)
Michigan State___114.8 x 47.2___5,412
Ohio State_______124 x 42_______5,208
Minnesota________108 x 48_______5,184
Michigan_________84.8 x 47.1____3,991
Nebraska_________117.6 x 33.6___3,951
Illinois_________96 x 36________3,456
Indiana__________91 x 36________3,276
Purdue___________68.5 x 31.5____2,158
Iowa_____________67 x 21.5______1,441
Wisconsin________43 x 24________1,032
Northwestern_____24 x 18________432

Note - Penn State isn't listed, and I couldn't find info on its scoreboard elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...m_video_boards

Last edited by Dan; Jan 30, 2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:09 AM   #41
DrewD007
Think it would've been better to have a ribbon board over the North End Zone that displays game info during actual game time, but ads and graphics during breaks in play. Nice that it'll be identical to the South one to bring some uniformity.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:23 AM   #42
Iowa City Illini Club
Hey guys, looks like the slant ILLINOIS is not going on the back of the scoreboard.

https://twitter.com/IlliniFootball/s...53619955113986

The mocks are a little dated.
Iowa City Illini Club is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:27 AM   #43
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa City Illini Club View Post
Hey guys, looks like the slant ILLINOIS is not going on the back of the scoreboard.

Good find
RyanK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:34 AM   #44
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Big Ten video boards-

Northwestern_____24 x 18________432
Do they still have screw in lightbulbs at Northwestern?

Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:13 AM   #45
BluesBro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Do they still have screw in lightbulbs at Northwestern?
Nah ...they could never figure out how many Wildcats it took to screw them in. <<rimshot>>
BluesBro is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:16 AM   #46
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa City Illini Club View Post

Cool. Based on the fightingillini.com press release the mockups are the same, but the back design of "Illinois" will be different. I've updated the mockups here to remove the back view.

IlliniFootball tweet-

RT @IlliniFootball @suraj3 @Daktronics @illinoisloyalty The photo on Loyalty is not current. The back is TBD until our rebranding is complete

The rebranding was mentioned in the August 3rd, 2012, press release announcing the Our State Our Team slogan-

"The 'ILLINOIS. OUR STATE. OUR TEAM.' campaign will be incorporated into a large-scale brand evaluation program that the DIA will partner with Nike beginning in 2013. The 18-month collaboration will result in an updated brand identity."
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:18 AM   #47
AHSIllini32
Banned
So the rebranding will be complete around the Summer of 2014 which is when we can expect completely new uniforms for the football program correct?
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:30 AM   #48
DrewD007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
So the rebranding will be complete around the Summer of 2014 which is when we can expect completely new uniforms for the football program correct?
Should be completely new uniforms for every sport if it's like what Nike has done previously (Michigan St, Arizona St, Mizzou off the top of my head).
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:38 AM   #49
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
Correct. According to the Our State Our Team press release it says new football uniforms for the 2014 season.

Perhaps a major part of the rebranding -- the new look & design of the word "Illinois" for Illini Athletics -- might be set for the 2013 football season. Unless they just want to keep the back of the scoreboard blank until the 2014 season when the new uniforms are unveiled. Who knows! Stay tuned
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:49 AM   #50
Dan
Admin
Couple thoughts on the new scoreboards-

Hopefully with the new giant HD board and the smaller 50-foot ribbon board under the scoreboard, we can finally get rid of the gawd-awful static billboard ads hanging at the rim of horseshoe. Those things are terrible squared. The Daktronics press release specifically mentioned that both the HD board & ribbon will be used for ads, great! Lose the small-time ugliness below.

Based upon the Daktronics press release stating, "An identical scoreboard (without video display) will be installed above the north end zone seats," here's my rough mockup of the North End Zone.

Note this is my own mockup! An official mockup of the North End Zone scoreboard hasn't been released yet.

Overall, the new scoreboard/ribbons/audio system appears to be a fantastic upgrade

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »