Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois at Northwestern, Sunday, February 17th, 6:30pm CT, BTN

Closed Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:37 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Game 27: Illinois (18-8, 5-7) at Northwestern (13-11, 4-7)

Sunday, February 17

Welsh-Ryan Arena, Evanston, IL

Time: 6:30pm CT

TV: BTN

Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Illinois5
Banned
We're going to win.

I'm calling it!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:43 PM   #3
illini101
Can't wait...taking the train from Southern Illinois to Chicago on Saturday and have tickets to game on Sunday. 1st time @ Northwestern! Staying downtown...Take the Red Line right?

Go ILLINI!!! Beat the Mildcats!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:45 PM   #4
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini101 View Post
Can't wait...taking the train from Southern Illinois to Chicago on Saturday and have tickets to game on Sunday. 1st time @ Northwestern! Staying downtown...Take the Red Line right?

Red as far north as you can, transfer to Purple. Not sure how long it takes to get to Welsh-Ryan from there, but just taking the red won't take you far enough.

I want to see another 20 point beat down... I think we could do it, but I'm not banking on it.

Illini- 74
NU- 66
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini101 View Post

The Metra actually will get you the closest to Northwestern, you can get it downtown.

You would have to take the red line to the end to Howard, then transfer to the purple line and take it into Evanston but would probably have to cab it over to Northwestern from there. Not exactly sure which stop in Evanston is closest.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:56 PM   #6
trevdv
What a weird game time and day.

Team Up North - 61

Without Swopshire, they are even less of a threat to upset us.

Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:59 PM   #7
HeartofaChampion
Sensing a beatdown. Team is on a mission.

UI 72
NW 59
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:05 PM   #8
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
I think we have only 3-4 more losses left in them and this won't be one of them.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:07 PM   #9
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
Sensing a beatdown. Team is on a mission.

UI 72
NW 59
We have built some momentum and have had some luck go our way:

1. 8 pts in a row then last second layup vs. IU
2. Coleman out vs. MN
3. Completely sluggish PU team

Key is that we have taken these opportunities and made the most of them. So let's take our next one by not having Swopshire in the game.

We still have to neutralize Hearn...that guy is a true ILL killer
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:51 PM   #10
Warriors1994
Just win baby win!!!!

Really hope we keep on the upswing and play our best ball in march.... imagine if BP was on his game right now...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:11 AM   #11
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
Just win baby win!!!!

Really hope we keep on the upswing and play our best ball in march.... imagine if BP was on his game right now...
I know!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:12 AM   #12
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
Just win baby win!!!!

However, BP is deferring to his teammates more and that makes others look good...he will get his and always has the ability take over the game
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:36 AM   #13
Frankie Williams
Northwestern has only 7 healthy scholarship players i think and Groce has been a lot better facing these teams for the second time. Hopefully a beatdown but hey i'll take a win no matter how we get it.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:44 AM   #14
IlliniFan85
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSpine View Post

2. Coleman out vs. MN

Key is that we have taken these opportunities and made the most of them. So let's take our next one by not having Swopshire in the game.

It was Rodney Williams, not Coleman
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:50 AM   #15
KansasIllini
I'm just glad this is a night game. With Daytona 500 qualifying in the morning/afternoon, I was wanting to get my first redneck kick of the year. So I was hoping that there wouldn't be an overlap. Of course, the Illini take priority over everything, but at least I can get all of both now!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:45 AM   #16
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
The Metra actually will get you the closest to Northwestern, you can get it downtown.

You would have to take the red line to the end to Howard, then transfer to the purple line and take it into Evanston but would probably have to cab it over to Northwestern from there. Not exactly sure which stop in Evanston is closest.
nah, it's very walkable from the purple stop at Central and is a lot better idea than trying to time an outbound metro on a sunday.

Red to Howad, transfer to Purple get off at Central and follow all the other fans a couple blocks west.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:21 AM   #17
mattcoldagelli
Yes, it's the Central stop for both the Metra North Line and the CTA Purple Line. Get off and walk west.

I dunno that I'm as down on taking a Metra up as AK. That's a looooong time to be on the Red Line.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:34 AM   #18
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
Yes, it's the Central stop for both the Metra North Line and the CTA Purple Line. Get off and walk west.

I dunno that I'm as down on taking a Metra up as AK. That's a looooong time to be on the Red Line.
The El just runs more often, even on a Sunday. Metra's timetable can be screwy; it's a lot easier to just wait on a platform for 15 minutes. It's cheaper, too.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:43 AM   #19
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:

2. Coleman out vs. MN

PU was sluggish because we beat the crap out of them in the first half. Completely stole their will and then just continued to out-hustle them all over the court in the second half. I'm not chalking up last nights win to luck. Minny is still a matchup nightmare for us even without Williams and we went into their place and took one from them. As far as IU, a little luck never hurts! However, we did keep ourselves in the game throughout to give a chance to make that late run. Then it was just players making plays.

I REALLY want a score similar to tonight and a beatdown by us. Anytime we play up there it scares the crap outta me though for some reason.

Get this game and you have a very good chance of being 9-8 heading into the finale with OSU.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:20 AM   #20
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
PU was sluggish because we beat the crap out of them in the first half. Completely stole their will and then just continued to out-hustle them all over the court in the second half. I'm not chalking up last nights win to luck. Minny is still a matchup nightmare for us even without Williams and we went into their place and took one from them. As far as IU, a little luck never hurts! However, we did keep ourselves in the game throughout to give a chance to make that late run. Then it was just players making plays.

I REALLY want a score similar to tonight and a beatdown by us. Anytime we play up there it scares the crap outta me though for some reason.

Get this game and you have a very good chance of being 9-8 heading into the finale with OSU.
I was there several years ago when we held Northwestern scoreless for about the first 15 minutes of the game. I'd like to see a full 20 minutes in this one.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:23 AM   #21
illini ri0t
Banned
Quote:

2. Coleman out vs. MN

Did you watch Purdue game? If there is any reason they looked "sluggish", it is because we came out and ran them out of the gym in the first 10 minutes of the game. It seemed like they were going to try to run with us, but the pace of the game was so fast that they kept turning the ball over!! Who was it, johnson who lost the ball dribbling it up court but was going to fast and ran past the ball?

I don't know about luck in the Indiana game either. We made open shots. Simple as that.

By Coleman, do you mean Williams?? I'll agree, having Williams in the lineup wouldn't have hurt Minny's chances, but Williams isn't the main guy on that team. If it was Mbakwe out, i would feel it would have been more detrimental to the Gophers.

Luck plays for both sides of teams too, Anyone can argue that it was luck that Minny kept themselves in the game....

Bottom line is Illinois is making plays, trusting the system, and trusting each other. Abrams is managing the game/passing better. Griff is establishing an inside scoring game to compliment his outside shooting, DJ is becoming a better team leader, and the team is playing better defense.

we've been ragging this team since the purdue loss, lets give them credit where credit is due.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:42 AM   #22
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenselyOrange View Post
I was there several years ago when we held Northwestern scoreless for about the first 15 minutes of the game. I'd like to see a full 20 minutes in this one.
Good God, yes sign me up for that.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:19 AM   #23
Calvin
Crossing my fingers we can get another road win and claw back to .500. I'm amazed that Groce not only coached a turn-around, but what I'd have to call a mega-turn-around. Incredible change in attitude and coaching from last season.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:42 AM   #24
Botb9
Realist
I know NU likes to ugly it up but the thing to do here is just wear them out. You can expect 40 minutes from some of the players, and they will be worn down by the time it's all said and done. If the shots aren't falling, it might be prudent for Groce to simply rotate guys in often to keep them fresh so they can outrun and outhustle NU.

If this Purdue game is any indication, this too should be a blowout.

Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:47 AM   #25
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan85 View Post
It was Rodney Williams, not Coleman
Yep, what he should have said is Coleman played his normal game instead of a career game.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »