Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Big Ten Tournament Bracketology - The Week of February 18th

Closed Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:23 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
B1G standings-
_____________________Conf______+/-____Overall________Remaining Games
1.__Indiana__________12-2______5______24-3___________@Minn__Iowa____OSU_____@Mich
2.__Michigan State___11-3______4______22-5___________@OSU___@Mich___Wisc____NW
3.__Wisconsin________10-4______3______19-8___________Neb____PU______@MSU____@PSU
4.__Michigan__________9-4______3______22-4___________IL_____@PSU____MSU_____@PU_____IU
5.__Ohio State________9-5______2______19-7___________MSU____@NW_____@IU_____IL
6.__Illinois__________7-7______-1_____20-8___________@Mich__Neb_____@Iowa___@OSU
7.__Iowa______________6-7______0______17-9___________@Neb___PU______@IU_____IL______Neb
8.__Minnesota_________6-8______-1_____18-9___________IU_____PSU_____@Neb____@PU
9.__Purdue____________5-8______-1_____12-14__________NW_____@Iowa___@Wisc___Mich____Minn
10._Northwestern______4-10_____-3_____13-14__________@PU____OSU_____PSU_____@MSU
11._Nebraska__________3-10_____-4_____12-14__________Iowa___@Wisc___@IL_____Minn____@Iowa
12._Penn State________0-14_____-7______8-18__________Mich___@Minn___@NW_____Wisc

+/- = +1 for B1G road win, -1 for B1G home loss.

If the BTT were to be held today-

Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:35 AM   #2
trevdv
I know this might sound silly, but I could see Penn State knocking somebody off; they're hungry for a win and will play with passion and tenacity in the BTT.

I like our half of the bracket; we could very easily win two or three games.

Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:40 AM   #3
ChiSoxIllini82
I like it as it stands for now for Illinois. Rd 1 is a win and I think Wisc is the easiest to beat among the top 4

Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:53 AM   #4
FredrickFremont
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
I know this might sound silly, but I could see Penn State knocking somebody off; they're hungry for a win and will play with passion and tenacity in the BTT.

I like our half of the bracket; we could very easily win two or three games.
Spiked koolaid alert!!!!

Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:56 AM   #5
AHSIllini32
Banned
I had been hoping to get the 5th seed but if we end up 6 with that bracket I would much rather have that. Looking at the remaining schedule I could easily see Wisky taking over #2 and us playing MSU should we win our first round game. Hell OSU could drop Michigan to the #5 seed too.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:33 AM   #6
kbotc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
I had been hoping to get the 5th seed but if we end up 6 with that bracket I would much rather have that. Looking at the remaining schedule I could easily see Wisky taking over #2 and us playing MSU should we win our first round game. Hell OSU could drop Michigan to the #5 seed too.
I would give anything not to have to go through Wisconsin again. I don't think we can beat their style of play with our players. MSU/OSU/Indiana? Sure. I think we've got an outside shot if we force them to play our game, but Wisconsin has just destroyed us when we play them.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:36 AM   #7
IlliniTilDeath
I think I would rather face Wisky instead of Mich St in the second round...I think we match up a little better, but both are rough....

Nebraska should be an auto win for us!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:40 AM   #8
Illinipopo
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniTilDeath View Post

Nebraska should be an auto win for us!
There are no automatic wins for this team....
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:36 AM   #9
ericac
Banned
Iowa is in as long as they finish 9-9 and have 20 + wins, and win their first big ten tourney game, they are in. Same thing with minny, 9-9, win first big ten tourney game. looks like 8 teams from big ten.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:37 AM   #10
IlliniTilDeath
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericac View Post
Iowa is in as long as they finish 9-9 and have 20 + wins, and win their first big ten tourney game, they are in. Same thing with minny, 9-9, win first big ten tourney game. looks like 8 teams from big ten.

This is a big ten tourney discussion...haha.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:49 AM   #11
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericac View Post
They are in the B1G tournament, yes. But 9-9 is not getting them into the NCAA tournament. It's been discussed in other threads, they don't have the quality wins and their weak non-conference schedule is going to keep them out.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:54 AM   #12
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
I like the thought of playing Nebraska two more times before the tourney. Wisconsin is a tough matchup for us, but we do have home court advantage playing in Chicago and we have already played one game there.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:07 AM   #13
DrewD007
I think we could actually catch OSU for the 5 seed. They can beat NW but lose to MSU and Indy and then we need to win 2 of our next 3 and then beat Ohio State in the final game.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:16 AM   #14
mdkIllini15
Am I the only one that really doesn't want to play wisconsin again?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:18 AM   #15
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkIllini15 View Post
I'm with you
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:33 AM   #16
bootsy
Quote:
I'm not with you. They played us when we were playing our worst basketball. We were in a slump and having major problems figuring out things. We aren't anymore. Would love to play them again.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:35 AM   #17
KBLEE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
I think we could actually catch OSU for the 5 seed. They can beat NW but lose to MSU and Indy and then we need to win 2 of our next 3 and then beat Ohio State in the final game.
I don't want the 5 seed. I'd much rather play Nebraska than Penn State again.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:37 AM   #18
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
+1, assuming we take care of them next weekend, and hard as it is to beat a team 3 times in a season, I think it'd be worse to try and beat PSU a second time given that they're improving a lot lately and did a good job disrupting our game.

Former Illini Pride President (2012-2013)
Orange Krush Class of 2013!

Orange Krush Road Trip @ Iowa, Feb. 3, 2010
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:16 AM   #19
RockyMtnIllini81
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb927 View Post
+1, assuming we take care of them next weekend, and hard as it is to beat a team 3 times in a season, I think it'd be worse to try and beat PSU a second time given that they're improving a lot lately and did a good job disrupting our game.
I don't want to play PSU again. Question - is our tourney resume better if we beat OSU, finish 5th and lose to PSU in the first round of the BTT? or lose to OSU, finish 6th and win a round (or two in the BTT)?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:18 AM   #20
bigtiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
I'm not with you. They played us when we were playing our worst basketball. We were in a slump and having major problems figuring out things. We aren't anymore. Would love to play them again.
I would like another shot at Wisconsin too. Mainly, because I want to quickly quell a fear I have that Bo Ryan is going to end up just having Groce's number. (Sort of like Ed DeChellis was to Bruce Weber).

After two disasters with them, I'm wondering if the Wisconsin system doesn't just lick their chops for Groce's style??
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:23 AM   #21
bigtiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtiny View Post
I would like another shot at Wisconsin too. Mainly, because I want to quickly quell a fear I have that Bo Ryan is going to end up just having Groce's number. (Sort of like Ed DeChellis was to Bruce Weber).

After two disasters with them, I'm wondering if the Wisconsin system doesn't just lick their chops for Groce's style??

Oh, and for the record, I would quickly and happily take an exciting basketball team with huge upside potential and the ability to beat almost anybody - even if it came with the potential of an ongoing vulnerability against a Princeton/modified Princeton-style offense.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:44 AM   #22
Greensboro
Quote:
I want to win out...if that means we earn the 5, at that point we are playing well enough I will take my chances with the bracket...plus don't think it matters in the end...we should have one game where we should win against a bottom 4 team, followed by a game against one of top 4 seeds & in the B1G this year all the top 4 should scare you...win that one & you only need 2 more wins against top 10 teams to win tourney...winning the B1G is going to be like making a final 4 in NCAA.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:00 AM   #23
jcgoldie
Quote:
Im just the opposite I want Wisky bad. I feel like we played so poorly in both those matchups and our guys would be hungry to show we can beat them. Plus I think they are the weakest team out of the top 4 by quite a bit.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:02 AM   #24
jcgoldie
Quote:
Maybe but honestly if we're scared of Penn State at this point what difference does any tournament seeding make it will be a short run anyway?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:04 AM   #25
Botb9
Realist
For me, playing Wisky one more time would mean that we took one game in the BTT, and that's enough for me. We're playing better now than we were, so we have a realistic shot to beat anyone in the country.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »