Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Fighting Illini Basketball Scholarship Grid 2017-2018

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jun 6, 2017, 04:09 PM   #1
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
rbachhuber's Avatar
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Posts: 1,140
FightingIllini.com has updated the basketball roster to reflect the upcoming season, so I will follow suit.

Mark Alstork, I understand, is finishing up classes at Wright State this summer, so I will keep him as committed/signed until the fall semester.

Greg Eboigbodin is not shown on the new roster, so I will keep him as committed/verbal until we know that he is enrolled.

Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(210.3 KB, 9190 views)
 
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2017, 05:11 PM   #2
ratdawg
ratdawg
ratdawg's Avatar
Location: Harrisburg Ilinois
Posts: 110
the thing that excites me the most is scholarships 5-10. those together three years... add some playas ... mmmhmmm... not that I dont like the 1-4 guys, theyre real deal plaeyers.. I just like to see these young guys develop under this staff,,,and do we add anyone to this list?(this year)if so, who you want ?

Last edited by Dan; Jun 7, 2017 at 02:34 PM.
ratdawg is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2017, 07:12 AM   #3
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
rbachhuber's Avatar
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Posts: 1,140
Added an offer to 2019 F Chris Payton out of Bloomington High School.

Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(210.7 KB, 8630 views)
 
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2017, 02:30 PM   #4
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
rbachhuber's Avatar
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Posts: 1,140
Ebo has signed.

Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(210.6 KB, 8269 views)
 
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2017, 02:43 PM   #5
Illwinsagain
Location: Cary, IL
Posts: 1,488
Is there a reason that Adam Miller and Nimari Burnett are in two classes?
Illwinsagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2017, 03:25 PM   #6
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
rbachhuber's Avatar
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illwinsagain View Post
Is there a reason that Adam Miller and Nimari Burnett are in two classes?
Yes. When I updated the grid for the coming season, I goofed up.
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2017, 06:07 PM   #7
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
rbachhuber's Avatar
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Posts: 1,140
2018 F Darius Bazley out of Cincinnati reports via Twitter that he has received an offer from the Illini. Decommitted from tOSU in April.

Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(211.0 KB, 7754 views)
 
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:59 PM   #8
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
rbachhuber's Avatar
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Posts: 1,140
Added an offer to 2018 PF Brandon Johns out of East Lansing MI (!).

Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(212.3 KB, 7612 views)
 
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2017, 08:20 PM   #9
Illini Parent14
Posts: 40
Question: If Tyler Underwood was a walk-on at Oklahoma State, and now he will be enrolling at the University of Illinois and walking onto the basketball team, why does he have to sit out a red-shirt season? Doesn't seem fair---after all he is a walk-on and not using a scholarship. Please explain.
Illini Parent14 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2017, 08:51 PM   #10
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
rbachhuber's Avatar
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini Parent14 View Post
Question: If Tyler Underwood was a walk-on at Oklahoma State, and now he will be enrolling at the University of Illinois and walking onto the basketball team, why does he have to sit out a red-shirt season? Doesn't seem fair---after all he is a walk-on and not using a scholarship. Please explain.
I'm sure there are others better able to answer this question than I, but here goes . . .

In the world of the NCAA, scholarship status is irrelevant to the transfer rules. Tyler Underwood was a basketball player last year at a Division 1 school. This year he is a Division 1 basketball player at a different school. Therefore, he sits out a year before becoming eligible to play again. In fact, he is on his third different team in three years, having been on the Stephen F. Austin basketball team two years ago. He sat out that year because of a medical issue, which means he won't be able to complete four years of eligibility because it would take him six years to do so, and the limit is five.

As far as "fair" is concerned, what is fair is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. It is best to not use that word when considering NCAA rules.
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:17 AM   #11
Illini Parent14
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbachhuber View Post
I'm sure there are others better able to answer this question than I, but here goes . . .

In the world of the NCAA, scholarship status is irrelevant to the transfer rules. Tyler Underwood was a basketball player last year at a Division 1 school. This year he is a Division 1 basketball player at a different school. Therefore, he sits out a year before becoming eligible to play again. In fact, he is on his third different team in three years, having been on the Stephen F. Austin basketball team two years ago. He sat out that year because of a medical issue, which means he won't be able to complete four years of eligibility because it would take him six years to do so, and the limit is five.

As far as "fair" is concerned, what is fair is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. It is best to not use that word when considering NCAA rules.
rbachhuber, thanks for tackling my question.
I understand your point about "fair" and "NCAA rules" not mixing very well, but consider this: Let's say that Tyler Underwood is not the son of the head coach (and thus not receiving any employee tuition breaks) and, also, let's say Tyler's family was paying full tuition (*don't laugh--those people exist--I, myself, was a full tuition-paying parent). In THAT case, it would not be a matter of fairness, but a matter of commercial legality. How do you deny a FULL PAYING CUSTOMER access to a program offered by the University?? That is just plain wrong.
Illini Parent14 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:19 AM   #12
Adnarel
Adnarel's Avatar
Posts: 25
There are plenty of people who will readily offer that what the NCAA does may not always be "right" in your sense of the word.

__________________
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Theodore Roosevelt
Adnarel is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:24 AM   #13
foby
Location: Sin City
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini Parent14 View Post
rbachhuber, thanks for tackling my question.
I understand your point about "fair" and "NCAA rules" not mixing very well, but consider this: Let's say that Tyler Underwood is not the son of the head coach (and thus not receiving any employee tuition breaks) and, also, let's say Tyler's family was paying full tuition (*don't laugh--those people exist--I, myself, was a full tuition-paying parent). In THAT case, it would not be a matter of fairness, but a matter of commercial legality. How do you deny a FULL PAYING CUSTOMER access to a program offered by the University?? That is just plain wrong.
You have a very valid point, in all fairness walk-ons who pay full tuition should not be penalized for a transfer.
foby is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:25 PM   #14
whovous
Posts: 1,411
Why should how much tuition you pay determine which rules apply to you? Many sports offer less than full tuition rides.
whovous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 02:10 PM   #15
Serious Late
Serious Late's Avatar
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
Posts: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by whovous View Post
Why should how much tuition you pay determine which rules apply to you? Many sports offer less than full tuition rides.
Well, if you are paying full tuition, then you are not on a "ride" at all. You don't have to be XX" tall to walk around the theme park, just to take the coaster.

__________________
One word... Consistency.
Serious Late is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 02:52 PM   #16
whovous
Posts: 1,411
But by your analogy, the school is the theme park and the sport is the coaster. You've gotta abide by the rules of the sport, not by the schools rules.
whovous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 02:58 PM   #17
kcib8130
kcib8130's Avatar
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by whovous View Post
Why should how much tuition you pay determine which rules apply to you? Many sports offer less than full tuition rides.
and those sports have different rules regarding transfers.
kcib8130 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 05:14 PM   #18
whovous
Posts: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcib8130 View Post
and those sports have different rules regarding transfers.
I did not know that.
whovous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 06:28 PM   #19
foby
Location: Sin City
Posts: 424
However, I guess if the rule was structured to allow full tuition walk-ons to transfer without penalty, then there would be the potential for abuse to those who wanted to change schools and could afford to just pay the tuition and be classified as a walk-on.
foby is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 07:42 PM   #20
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
rbachhuber's Avatar
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
In the four sports where sitting is mandatory within the Division the reason is the fear that that competitive pressure will lead to schools attempting to poach players. There is also concern that players will shift on a whim in those higher profile sports so sitting makes it a considered decision.
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-NCAA-at...r-transferring

Quote:
Why canít a student-athlete compete immediately after transferring?

Requiring student-athletes to sit out of competition for a year after transferring encourages them to make decisions motivated by academics as well as athletics. Most student-athletes who are not eligible to compete immediately benefit from a year to adjust to their new school and focus on their classes. Student-athletes who must sit out for a year at their new school may or may not receive financial aid and practice with their new team.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/frequently...ons-about-ncaa
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 08:10 PM   #21
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
rbachhuber's Avatar
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Posts: 1,140
Adding another big to the grid . . . 6'10" PF Matic Vesel has committed to the Illini. He will report to the team in August.

He is from Slovenia, a European country that borders Austria, Italy, Croatia, and Hungary. Also has a coastline on the Adriatic Sea.

Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(212.8 KB, 6648 views)
 
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 09:12 PM   #22
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Location: Johns Creek, GA
Posts: 3,585
Good job on the staff nicknames.

__________________
A man can get discouraged many times but he is not a failure until he begins to blame somebody else and stops trying. ~ John Burroughs
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:02 PM   #23
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
rbachhuber's Avatar
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
Good job on the staff nicknames.
Was wondering when someone would notice.
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:51 PM   #24
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
rbachhuber's Avatar
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Posts: 1,140
The Illini reportedly have made an offer to 2019 SG Grant Sherfield out of Arlington TX.

Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(213.3 KB, 4728 views)
 
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2017, 03:29 PM   #25
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
rbachhuber's Avatar
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Posts: 1,140
2018 G Jordan Lathon to Northwestern.

Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(213.3 KB, 3849 views)
 
rbachhuber is offline Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump