Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Patterson to VT. We were late to the party anyway.

If anything we were first to the party, and then left the party early. We didn't seem to be pursuing him as hard as our other targets, or as other schools.

Yeah Patterson to VT. We were late to the party anyway.

Yes, you are joking aren't you? Can't be much earlier than we were. But I think we decided he was option B or C. Still wanted him, but I think Taylor and maybe someone else were just slightly higher ranked by the staff.

I'm not a huge fan of Patterson. Well the film I've seen of him. It's like 90% running 10% passing.

The prototype QB it seems they are looking for is a duel threat but maybe more throwing and less running/when necessary.

So an athlete at QB? Yes. But to me Patterson is strictly an option QB. With minimal throwing capacity.

Taylor and Elby look like "passers who can also run" not "a runner who can pass a little"

Just my 2 cents.

He and Taylor have slightly different skill sets. For me the difference between them was minimal thou I do prefer Patterson. However Taylor may well be the better fit. For me I would be a happier than a pig in slop to get one of the 2 and land Littlejohn from Georgia. Of the 3 qb's just mentioned I would have but the slight odds go to Littlejohn as a starter. That said uff Taylor and Littlejohn would make the best frosh Qb's since Juice. And could turn out better as both throw a much better change up. Anybody wants to chime in on Bailey? I will remind those not here or forgot I had serious reservation about him because he was so raw and sadly he never really got the qb coaching he needed to become a more all around talent at qb. :eek:

2018 Carterville,IL Tight End Luke Ford plans to visit Illinois March 10th along w many other big time Power5 schools. Arkansas seems like illini's biggest competitor, he plans visit there March 13th. His offers are likely only beginning and he's a must get for Lovie if Illinois is truly going to set the tone on Our State.
I would rank him similar in importance to guys in that category like Coran Taylor & D O'Rourke. Those guys will be key to this classes' foundation. Anything in addition to that foundation, ie. Houston Griffith, Verdis Brown, Ronnie Perkins, Trevor Trout, etc puts this class over the top & ready to compete at a high level immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Carterville,IL Tight End Luke Ford plans to visit Illinois March 10th along w many other big time Power5 schools. Arkansas seems like illini's biggest competitor, he plans visit there March 13th. His offers are likely only beginning and he's a must get for Lovie if Illinois is truly going to set the tone on Our State.
I would rank him similar in importance to guys in that category like Coran Taylor & D O'Rourke. Those guys will be key to this classes' foundation. Anything in addition to that foundation, ie. Houston Griffith, Verdis Brown, Ronnie Perkins, Trevor Trout, etc puts this class over the top & ready to compete at a high level immediately.

Better hope Bama doesn't offer.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
To spur a little conversation...

What will be the positional breakdown for the 2018 recruiting class? Let's assume a class between 16-18 recruits.

To spur a little conversation...

What will be the positional breakdown for the 2018 recruiting class? Let's assume a class between 16-18 recruits.

1 QB
1-2 TE
1 RB
1 WR, likely a slot type
1 interior OL (C/G)
2 OTs

3 DBs (1 S, 2 CB types)
3 LBs (1 MLB, 2 OLB)
2 DT
1 DE

1 ATH (WR/DB)

Last edited:
With Luke Ford's offer list, it would be an absolute coup if he came here. Hope the staff is up to the challenge, but I am not optimistic about that one.

FT35

Naperville
Very cool. Thanks for putting this together.

+1 Outstanding job on that spreadsheet. It's very well put together and identified all of our main targets.

Still wondering how they're going to fill Sternquist's position

There is a rumor that it is already filled but needs to wait until April 1st to be officially announced. After the 10th assistant is announced and the back channel connections can be officially confirmed

There is a rumor that it is already filled but needs to wait until April 1st to be officially announced. After the 10th assistant is announced and the back channel connections can be officially confirmed

The 10th assistant can't be announced because no program has that spot yet. It hasn't been voted on for real yet.

Mike Jones has just been named the new head football coach St Louis U High, a school that used to send us a ton of athletes.

Who is Mike Jones you might ask? He was the guy who made "the tackle" in SB 34 to give the Rams the win over Tennessee. For most of his career in St louis his defensive coordinator was some guy named Lovie.

It can't hurt.

Mike Jones has just been named the new head football coach St Louis U High, a school that used to send us a ton of athletes.

Who is Mike Jones you might ask? He was the guy who made "the tackle" in SB 34 to give the Rams the win over Tennessee. For most of his career in St louis his defensive coordinator was some guy named Lovie.

It can't hurt.

Who was the last major prospect out of U HIGH? Ronnie Wingo?

It can't hurt.

Mike Jones has struggled as a coach.

Off-topic, but if anyone recalls the story of that QB with gaudy passing stats from Georgia, K'Hari Lane, he signed with Arizona. Really interesting/odd recruiting cycle for that kid to still wind up at a P5 school.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL

It can't hurt.

Jones was in St. Louis from 1997-2000. Lovie was there 2001-2003, so they didn't overlap.

Mark Jones

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YEsLNykkg3Q

raw

Status
Not open for further replies.