Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-March 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smith finished with 32. Clappy drooling. Time to send him packing.

Smith finished with 32. Clappy drooling. Time to send him packing.

That's the sad part. Not sure Smith with be an option. With him blowing up and in multiple reports saying he wants a relationship with the head coach we could be out. Hope not but with Groce a huge question this one may be a long shot

Illinois: “I haven’t really watched them too much but I like how they get up and down the floor, it’s sort of my style of game.”

This has to be a positive, right?

Ekkk. I hope he continues to "not watch them" because we certainly don't get up and down the floor.

I think we have a real shot if he doesn't watch us play and doesn't get to know Coach Groce.

Deleted member 14522

D
Groce watched the Edwardsville practice Sunday fwiw

My hope is that Groce is enough of a salesman to get Smith to take us seriously where at some point he's in a room with Whitman and asks about the elephant in the room....and Whitman's response, however he has to frame it, gives Smith enough confidence that should there be a new staff, it will be one which will develop him to his utmost potential and Smith commits.

I don't know how that happens....but if Smith goes elsewhere because we are in limbo and proves to be what we think he can be, it would be really disappointing.

Not specific to basketball, but is Smith going to play his High School baseball season even though he's now committed to play basketball in college. Edwardsville seems to have several multi-sport athletes and I would think he'd want to go one last go round on the diamond with guys he's grown up playing with. I believe he had signed with Missouri as a pitcher, but I've got to assume as athletic as he is that he'd be one of their better hitters as well.

Last edited:
Ekkk. I hope he continues to "not watch them" because we certainly don't get up and down the floor.

I think we have a real shot if he doesn't watch us play and doesn't get to know Coach Groce.

The first part is kinda what I was eluding to. If Groce is as good in person as we all speculate he is then the second will take care of itself.

"Listen son, you could be like D Wade. You know I coached him right?" (creans pitch to literally every player)

This has driven me nuts for years. Cream is by my accounts a below average coach and kinda a jag off and landed one of the best jobs in college basketball because a Chicago player no Big Ten offered blew up and took him to a final four 14 years ago. Talk about being at the right place at the right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.