Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July-August 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bubbles

Fairfield, IL
So with this in mind, what's the knock on little Finke's game right now? Inconsistent outside shooting? Questions about his motor? What makes him a good fit in Underwood's system?
The last time I saw Tim play was when he was a sophomore, and I was living in central Illinois at the time. That was when his brother Nick was a senior. Tim is a wing with a streaky shot.

In the game I watched him against Springfield Southeast, he scored some points (around 12-14 I believe), but disappeared. Xavier Bishop was the star of that game.

I think for Tim it would have to be consistency. If he can be consistent, he'll do good. If he disappeared in games like what I saw two years ago, it won't be good.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Exactly...love Underwood and think he's gonna do awesome but I think a lot of people have forgotten exactly how much hype there was at the start of the Groce era.

With the fairly significant differences that Underwood had turned around another high-major program and beat out MSU and Kentucky for Illinois Mr. Basketball before even coaching a game.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
The main difference is that when BU misses on 5 stars and hits on 4 stars, they will play at a level and be coached at a level that Groce could not,(and no offense, but cannot), duplicate.

The difference will be frighteningly obvious in a few months.
And when BU exhibits his court side intensity, I hope we will all appreciate the competitive aspect of it as he tears into players, and Ted Valen...errr...refs.:D
:illinois:

Oldtoysrock

Sarasota, Florida
yeah, saw that. Reminded me of a certain recruit of ours whose mother assured everybody that he was coming here.
If some coach hires Shammond Williams, I'd bet money Mitchell is gone. I have heard some coaches do such things.

I can just imagine Cuonzo "Creening" one of his coaches so he can hire Shammond Williams just to get a certain recruit. Doubling down?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The last time I saw Tim play was when he was a sophomore, and I was living in central Illinois at the time. That was when his brother Nick was a senior. Tim is a wing with a streaky shot.

In the game I watched him against Springfield Southeast, he scored some points (around 12-14 I believe), but disappeared. Xavier Bishop was the star of that game.

I think for Tim it would have to be consistency. If he can be consistent, he'll do good. If he disappeared in games like what I saw two years ago, it won't be good.

last month I saw him play vs Taylorville. Yes Taylorville High. Wasnt good.

So with this in mind, what's the knock on little Finke's game right now? Inconsistent outside shooting? Questions about his motor? What makes him a good fit in Underwood's system?

25-91 from 3 this Spring is not good. BTW, now that Matta has gone from tOSU, they have cooled on him.

Deleted member 10676

D
[FONT=&quot]Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 1h1 hour ago [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Heralded Western Kentucky frosh Mitchell Robinson arrived at school & is in class, his mother LaKeisha told ESPN.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]http://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sidelines-with-john-clay/article160475769.html
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Too bad. I was kind of looking forward to the feeding frenzy that would have occurred if he'd decided to go elsewhere. Kid is going to bigly kick butt in Conf. USA.
[/FONT]

With the fairly significant differences that Underwood had turned around another high-major program and beat out MSU and Kentucky for Illinois Mr. Basketball before even coaching a game.
Oh no I definitely think the hype around Underwood is justified. I just don't think it's fair to act like Groce didn't go hard after high , high recruits

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So based on this, Rivals thinks that Finke/THT/Stewart are all basically the same tier of player. That is a nice bump up for THT thought if I remember his previous ranking correctly.

THT was 115 (new 102), DJStew was unranked and Finke from 88 to new 91. My big concern is Ayo at 21--any higher and blue bloods are going to swarm.

In regards to the Rivals 2018 rankings and what not:

It's too bad we no longer seem in on Garland. I thought Groce initially had a pretty good in with him but I haven't heard/seen anything about him and Illinois lately. Obviously, if we get Ayo, it won't matter.

If we only got one of Finke, Stewart or THT, I'd be happy.

Carte'Are Gordon seems to have fallen off quite a bit from his early 5 star status a couple years ago

Northwestern is building a really nice class. IF they get THT, how many schollies would they have left? Any?

Carte'Are Gordon seems to have fallen off quite a bit from his early 5 star status a couple years ago
Probably the SLU effect. A similar phenomenon is experienced by this program's signed recruits.

CAHALL15

Central Illinois

I was at that game, too. Ball handling and consistency are two things he could improve.

JT is exactly the type of big that we need and want. It's laughable to think otherwise.

Off topic: I know JCL lost the ball off the bounce, but it wasn't even close to what people make it out to be. I think the biggest reason he left was because TJL didn't pass to him as much as he should've. I guess when he did, JCL would drive anyways, which would've taking away an assist for TJL. There were some chemistry issues, or the vocal minority of fans drove him off(good job guys), but our four star transfer was a heck of a basketball player.
JT is talented, but he would've needed to add some skills to be the type of post BU wants. Plus, if he's going to be distracted off the court, he may not be worth the trouble. I didn't lose any sleep when he left. As for JCL, he was a good 3pt shooter but that was it. He turned the ball over, wasn't a great defender, and his overall field goal percentage was less than what he shot from 3.

Are we still in on Darius Days?
The staff likes him, but it seems there isn't a ton of reciprocated interest.

cash35

Easton, Il
How's everyone doing??? Hearing we could be having a really good month ahead!! ILL!

JT is talented, but he would've needed to add some skills to be the type of post BU wants. Plus, if he's going to be distracted off the court, he may not be worth the trouble.

You're reaching big time here bud

Status
Not open for further replies.