Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,301      
Certainly the staff can turn it around with a great 2019 class, it's just not looking good right now. Plus, the usual bump in recruiting teams get when the hire a new coach, we completely whiffed on (other than Ayo, but that was more a personal relationship with Chin, not excitement for the Illini program). Add to that, the recruiting misses and how we've missed them are just too ludicrous to even recount.

I'll admit, one thing I've never considered, which may be a recruiting reality is that when you are recruiting guys ranked in the 200's and 300's that likely never dreamed they would get BigTen offers, then we offer them, give them official visits, show them love, etc then they spurn us for mid major U - it may be because the recruits themselves don't feel they are bigten caliber. That they would be in over their head. It's an odd recruiting scenario we are certainly not used to here, but maybe that is what BU is facing on the lower end - so he can't get the top 100 recruits because of competition and the guys 200 and lower don't feel they can play in the bigten, but I still don't see why he can't get frontcourt guys in the 100-200 range, that should be his sweet spot.
We have talent but maybe not enough talent to get us into the top half of the conference just yet. It seems like we're heading into the right direction though but it'll probably take longer than what many were unrealistically expecting.

#1,302      

sacraig

The desert
If a player hopes to someday play in the NBA, they won't learn many NBA style defensive skills from Syracuse's zone defense. A young player would be better off going somewhere that plays tight man defense. Playing on a "positionless" team would teach the player the defensive skills needed to play the "switch everything" defensive trend going on in the NBA (that everyone is using to try to beat Golden State). Hopefully he is focused on skill development rather than driving distance from the border.

The problem with this line of thinking, as far as I see, is that a player can be taught a new defense relatively easily, at least compared to the fact that you can't teach freak athleticism. A player can play the most boring offense and defense in the world and still be a lottery pick if the tools are there. See: Ayton, Deandre.

Also, hello, fellow Collinsville native.

#1,305      

sacraig

The desert
2019 top 50 big Oscar Tshiebwe officially visiting UI weekend of September 7; will visit Baylor the weekend before
[twitter]

But what about the narrative that, after Whitney and Okoro went elsewhere, we have no other shot at a good class!?!?

#1,314      
But what about the narrative that, after Whitney and Okoro went elsewhere, we have no other shot at a good class!?!?
I don't think anyone said we didn't have a shot but our chances went down after those players committed. Not that we really had much of a chance with Okoro but we probably would have gotten Whitney if he hadn't blown up.

#1,315      
Kansas cuts The Show loose. Time to open that MIF pipeline again!
Piper has already crystal balled to DePaul. Am I missing something here? Since when is DePaul considered a basketball destination? They were awful last year against Illinois.

#1,318      
Piper has already crystal balled to DePaul. Am I missing something here? Since when is DePaul considered a basketball destination? They were awful last year against Illinois.

DePaul isn't a destination, it is layover.

#1,319      

Deleted member 2050

D
DePaul isn't a destination, it is layover.
Whattya mean? Tom Bosley had some happy days at DePaul
media_httporderofthef_duiqi-scaled5001.jpg

#1,324      
Wow that's really really awful look for the staff. We had everything going in this recruitment and we cant even get in the top 6. Lost for words at this point.
He wasn't a priority so I understand why we were left off.. but I think that is my biggest issue with this staff. We prioritize guys that have little chance of coming here so then we struggle getting guys in the next tier and end up having to settle on guys in an even lower tier.

#1,325      

Deleted member 643761

D
He wasn't a priority so I understand why we were left off.. but I think that is my biggest issue with this staff. We prioritize guys that have little chance of coming here so then we struggle getting guys in the next tier and end up having to settle on guys in an even lower tier.
We have a very small sample to in any way put stock in this theory.

Last fall's recruiting class was targeting guys who generally never saw Underwood in action and many of whom had never stepped foot in the SFC.

And you certainly don't know about any of our misses "having little chance of coming here".

Status
Not open for further replies.