Illinois 88, NC State 74 POSTGAME

Might not be his choice.

No. We don't need another 2017 schollie, the kid has talent, is long and athletic, and replacing Hill by committee seems most likely. I'm still betting he is a very good player before his career is over. But, regardless, with 4 incoming & 2 opening for 2017 it would be dumb to run anyone off for next year as long as there are no serious other issues brewing.

The age of the B1G banger down low is all but gone, so really DJW should (given his length and athletic ability) currently share time at the 4 behind Black. But Groce's insistence on playing Tracy at the 2 in some kind of far-fetched 2-pg system shifts the entire lineup.

We can, and should, pull a page from Izzo's book and play a 2-forward (i.e. Hill/DJW, Hill/Black) system.

Wrong, DJ is a 3. Playing DJW/Hill is closer to playing 5 guards, than anything Izzo does.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Wrong, DJ is a 3. Playing DJW/Hill is closer to playing 5 guards, than anything Izzo does.

Pretty difficult to make that argument for a guy who can't step out to 3 point range. I'm also into the idea of him guarding 4's. He can provide some semblance of rim protection as insurance for Mav and MT's plodding feet.

Deleted member 533939

D
I think the point is how it will look on a resume come March.
If they get all their guys back, and finish the season strong, it won't suddenly mean that Illinois had a win against a good team in November.

We are humans, we can use logic.

The age of the B1G banger down low is all but gone, so really DJW should (given his length and athletic ability) currently share time at the 4 behind Black. But Groce's insistence on playing Tracy at the 2 in some kind of far-fetched 2-pg system shifts the entire lineup.

We can, and should, pull a page from Izzo's book and play a 2-forward (i.e. Hill/DJW, Hill/Black) system.

Hasn't Groce's desired system all along been predicated on multiple, good-to-great PGs?

The Way of the PG is the future of basketball anyhow.

Deleted member 533939

D
No. We don't need another 2017 schollie, the kid has talent, is long and athletic, and replacing Hill by committee seems most likely. I'm still betting he is a very good player before his career is over. But, regardless, with 4 incoming & 2 opening for 2017 it would be dumb to run anyone off for next year as long as there are no serious other issues brewing.
Not to speak for TC, but when your mom spouts off on Twitter after the game, it makes me think that she has some control over the situation, and at the very least, she has influence.

Bailey

Los Angeles
If they get all their guys back, and finish the season strong, it won't suddenly mean that Illinois had a win against a good team in November.

You're using a logic dissimilar from when tournament resumes are being evaluated by the committee, generally speaking.

If NC State becomes a tourney team, that's a helpful win.

WE as Illini fans can use logic (well, mainly the pessimistic ones use all the logic around these parts apparently).

He's saying that, when it comes around to it in March and NC State is an improved basketball team, then this will be looked at BY THE COMMITTEE, BY OUTSIDE PERSPECTIVES, as a good win. That's how it suddenly becomes a good win. No one will delve deep into it: "oh they didn't have this guy, oh this guy was hurt, oh but it was a late road game." If you told me they beat NC State on a night when the Wolfpack shot 53% from the field and 38% from 3pt range, sounds like a great win to me.

I'll pose this to you: IF Illinois wins out in non-con and goes 13-5 in B1G (finishing 23-8), are WVU and FSU's wins against us bad wins or good wins for them?

They're 5-2 and have no bad losses yet and will have to really good players back. They're not bad right now but will be much better sooner than later.

They also have nothing that even resembles a good win. Struggle to beat Georgia southrn & Loyola by 2 each. They will likely get better & may end up a good team, but last night they were bad, real bad.

haasi

New York
[YOUTUBE]x8NbpiKco_Y#t=45s[/YOUTUBE]

At about 45 second mark: "exemplifimation" and Malcolm's reaction. So good.

Totally disagree on DJW. He catches the eye every time he's out there.

And there is absolutely no way you can say a freshman who has never played a college game is our best defender. He has to go out and prove that.

If Kipper just straight beats DJW and AJ in practice and eats their minutes, great!

I doubt that, though.

From recent rotations, I think it is fair to say thay neight AJ or DJW have impressed the coaches enough to think there spot behind Hill is secure. I'm not sure Kipper will get it, but the spot is there for the taking.

Your issue, Chief, is that you're considering the game from a "How good does this win make me feel about my team" perspective, whereas those you're railing against are speaking from a "How might this victory appear to a selection committee in March" perspective.

No one's in here saying that all our worries about this team have evaporated. But if we continue to improve our play, and NCSt continues to improve theirs, both teams might end up having a record that placing them in the mix for a tourney berth. If all the above comes to be, last night's victory will be a positive to any committee member looking at our resumé. Surely you don't believe the committee is looking at how well individual teams looked during single games in November when preparing their list?

And if we made the dance, would you still be moaning about the quality of the team we played on 11/29?

No one's 'logicking' themselves into believing that we beat a tourney-grade team firing on all cylinders last night. Do you deny anyone's right to feel better that the team looked better, that the rotations seemed to make more sense, and that the team won for the first time in four games?

Last edited:

Deleted member 533939

D
You're using a logic dissimilar from when tournament resumes are being evaluated by the committee, generally speaking.

If NC State becomes a tourney team, that's a helpful win.
I'm not on the committee. I'm using the logic of a rational fan.

Dennis Smith, Jr is going to be a top-5 pick. Ted Kapita is a top-50 kid who's likely to be drafted in a year or two. Markell Johnson is top 50-ish and on NBA radars. Their stretch-4, Abu, tested the draft waters last year and was ranked #44 coming out of HS.

Oh stop it! They are all garbage. Stop using facts and start using your rational fan logic.

WE as Illini fans can use logic (well, mainly the pessimistic ones use all the logic around these parts apparently).

He's saying that, when it comes around to it in March and NC State is an improved basketball team, then this will be looked at BY THE COMMITTEE, BY OUTSIDE PERSPECTIVES, as a good win. That's how it suddenly becomes a good win. No one will delve deep into it: "oh they didn't have this guy, oh this guy was hurt, oh but it was a late road game." If you told me they beat NC State on a night when the Wolfpack shot 53% from the field and 38% from 3pt range, sounds like a great win to me.

I'll pose this to you: IF Illinois wins out in non-con and goes 13-5 in B1G (finishing 23-8), are WVU and FSU's wins against us bad wins or good wins for them?

I've never heard of a 'bad win'.... explain what that is ? ? :eek:

Like hearing these personal stories of what was observed. Thanks!

I had the very cool, unique experience last night of sitting in the second row of bench seats for the game as well as being able to sit on the bench and watch the shoot around/walk through pre-game and have a couple of observations/notes I thought I'd share.

1) The amount of preparation that goes into creating a game plan for a team is mind boggling. I know that we as fans get frustrated with execution, or lack thereof, at times, but the work that the staff and team put in to create and execute a game plan is tremendous. I consider myself to be very intelligent when it comes to basketball, but watching that walk through and listening to the coach bark out plays, sets, defenses, etc. made me feel pretty dumb. Not just that I didn't know the plays, but it was really cool to see how much preparation the staff does on how to use those plays/sets to combat what the opponent wants to do. It was very, very cool to watch, and it definitely gave me a new appreciation for all that this team and staff does to try and win games.

2) Kipper is BIG. I mean this kid is jacked. Watching him work with the scout team during the walk through and how physically imposing he is got me pretty jacked up to see him suit up finally. He'll be back for the BYU game. I'm not sure if that's been mentioned on here yet or not.

3) Leron brings serious energy to this team, and not just on the floor. For those of you who go to the games, you know he's the guy who ends the "hype video" before the game with the "LET'S GOOOO" scream. But, before the game starts, he's twice as animated on the floor before the starters are announced. He's screaming and getting everyone fired up. I love this kid. I think they need his energy.

4) Josh Whitman realized how big last night's game was for this season. Once Coach Groce finally finished up with post-game interviews and headed back toward the locker room, JW was waiting for him and gave him a huge hug. They both had huge smiles on their faces. This was very cool to see.