Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last CB on Wilkes was 9/14 and that by a Maryland guy saying IU. None since then as pointed out earlier.

618 Illini

Chicago
The spacing on Wilkes Xavier and UCLA official visits is really interesting to me. Does anybody know (or read a quote/article) what the thought process is for the gap?

Smacko

Lexington, KY
Well we made it through Monday without anything coming out that would indicate he is going to commit to IU so that's good. His OV to Xavier isn't till the 28th. Will be interesting to see if he waits and takes the last two.

Wilkes OV to UCONN is the Huskies home opener @ 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 5th.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Well we made it through Monday without anything coming out that would indicate he is going to commit to IU so that's good. His OV to Xavier isn't till the 28th. Will be interesting to see if he waits and takes the last two.

Do we know if Groce (or anyone else) is having in-home visits between now and then? Actually, can they? What kind of contact are they allowed right now?

Okay, I give - what's "CB" or "a CB"?

Crystal balls are a marketing tool created by the 24/7 recruiting site to generate Web traffic. Basically, recruiting "experts" make predictions on where they think recruits will choose to go to school, and get points for correct picks, as well as length of time they had chosen that school. However, they can change their picks at any time, so it's not really a useful tool as far as where a recruit is going, so much as where current momentum is. It's really only accurate when there is an announcement date nearby, and info starts to leak.

The spacing on Wilkes Xavier and UCLA official visits is really interesting to me. Does anybody know (or read a quote/article) what the thought process is for the gap?

I'm also wondering about the Scruggs inactivity/timing. It's been over a month since our mutual (much discussed who broke up with who) "difficult talk" and Scruggs last OV was 8/26. The CBs have been pinned on those same picks for Xavier (and maybe 1 Indiana) for him forever. But no commitment yet. Wondering if timing and decision is somehow Wilkes related.

217sports

Springfield
Wilkes' camp is tight knit and keeps it quieter than just about every other kid out there. I like it. Groce seems to do better in those types of recruitments as well FWIW.

Deleted member 10676

D
This twitter feed has a few pix of Wilkes at Bloomington. The Rivals article in the last tweet is $ but his dad says iubb made it clear how much of a priority KW is to TC. Looks like OG may have been showing him around.
https://twitter.com/BISO132

Some of the intel that has come my way the last few days...

- "At this point, I lean to nothing happening this week with Wilkes. But, I absolutely would not be surprised if he does commit this week. Other schools are working hard to hold it off, but there is a genuine concern among non-Indiana folk that this could end very soon."

- A UCLA assistant told a friend of mine that the stuff is "remaining with some hope" but the general consensus is that UCLA and UCONN have been, unofficially, ruled out because of distance.

- Xavier won't take a 6-man class so the impending commitment from former Indiana resident Paul Scruggs will rule them out.

Time will tell.

The genuine concern amongst Hoosier folk iis the longer the Wilkes recruitment goes the less likely it will be IU. Afterall, Clappy has only been recruiting this kid for 100 years. I'd be concerned about HH and right now it doesn't look like he's said he will be there.

Last edited:
Wilkes' camp is tight knit and keeps it quieter than just about every other kid out there. I like it. Groce seems to do better in those types of recruitments as well FWIW.

Wilkes' camp is his Dad and he. Mom didn't even make it to Btown. Remember JCL's recruitment was basically his Dad and he. OTOH, XSimpson's recruitment was he and his Dad only.
I originally thought that Mike Peterson, Wilkes' long time AAU coacjh would be involved, but he's been nowhere to be found.
Speaking of Groce and Mom's, the get together @ Groce's house on the Friday of Wilkes' recruitment, "hit it out of the park." Family, family, family!!!

I don't disagree with what you're saying TCTornado. I'd say the longer, maybe the worse for IU. But, all the "intel" suggests IU is the team to beat here and the chatter from his parents to reporters is he would be there for HH.

Again, time will tell but right now IU is in the drivers seat but, in recruiting, A lot can change. And sometimes very quickly.

Deleted member 10676

D
https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/threads/wilkes-comments.138592/page-5

fwiw, just a message board, but they started out all ticked off because of KW's comments about trust etc but yesterday and today have turned very optimistic and are hearing the visit went very well. My totally personal guess is it's down to us and Indiana and Indiana has the edge due to the longstanding ties and an equally good official visit. If he goes to HH, that would no doubt be all she wrote. We were always a longshot.

Some of the intel that has come my way the last few days...

- "At this point, I lean to nothing happening this week with Wilkes. But, I absolutely would not be surprised if he does commit this week. Other schools are working hard to hold it off, but there is a genuine concern among non-Indiana folk that this could end very soon."

- A UCLA assistant told a friend of mine that the stuff is "remaining with some hope" but the general consensus is that UCLA and UCONN have been, unofficially, ruled out because of distance.

- Xavier won't take a 6-man class so the impending commitment from former Indiana resident Paul Scruggs will rule them out.

Time will tell.

I'm not convinced that Xavier wouldn't make a spot for Wilkes at #6, technically if VC is correct they already have a spot & they are pretty thin at 3-5 in 2017, only 3 bigs including an unranked freshman & one 3 that is 6'8" & may be needed at the 4.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/xavier

Status
Not open for further replies.